Could someone identify these older Campag bits for me?

lae
lae Posts: 555
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Hi all,

These came off a Peugeot I'm making into a hub-geared winter bike. The Pug's from 1985 but I'm assuming these are newer:

rmech1.jpg

cranks1.jpg

Chainset is campagnolo, you could just about read the logo before I cleaned them up. Also does anyone know how many speeds the rear derailler will take.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Theoretically, any rear mech should not care whether it's 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or whatever speed - the indexing is handled by the shifter (which moves the cable X mm to derail from sprocket to sprocket).

The total distance travelled from smallest sprocket to largest sprocket is roughly the same and the limit screws will be the only thing that dictates this.

So perfectly possible to use an older 8 speed rear mech with a 9 speed shifter etc.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ yeah that's true. 7,8,9 speed cassettes are all the same total width after all.

I suppose vintage deraillers designed for 4, 5, and 6 speed freewheels rather than modern cassettes might have problems though, but I'm guessing this derailler is modern enough to have been designed for cassettes.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ yeah that's true. 7,8,9 speed cassettes are all the same total width after all.

I suppose vintage deraillers designed for 4, 5, and 6 speed freewheels rather than modern cassettes might have problems though, but I'm guessing this derailler is modern enough to have been designed for cassettes.

True enough - that might be a bit extreme. But within reason, any rear mech will work with any number of gears, but I probably wouldn't try a mech from 5 speed on a 10 speed cassette or vice-versa!
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    Looks early to mid nineties to me, but I don't know which groupset they're from.

Campagnolo changed the cable pull ratio of their shifters in 2001, so it won't work with current shifters. It will work with any 8 speed Erogopower shifter but only with early 9 speed.
    Alex
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724

I've used old 5/6 speed derailliers with 7/8 speed blocks no problem, you'd be suprised how far you can go using the limit screws. I wouldn't be suprised if you could use them on 9/10 speed cassettes as well. The main issue would be the chainset used, I would imagine they won't have the capacity to work with a compact.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Components look like Mirage cira 1994, so 8 speed
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My Mirage 95 has a steel inner cage and an aluminium outer cage. Higher groups have them both in Alu. The style looks 95 but the cage and the all-metal adjuster barrel looks to be a higher grade.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

I recently sold my old Mercian steely which had a Campag Mirage groupset dating from 1996.
    Images attached for the rear mech and front crankset (in my case it was a triple)

photostream

photostream

I had replaced the large chainring on the crankset but otherwise it is an original 1996 Mirage item. The fact that your components don't have any groupset brand on them suggests that yours may be from an earlier period.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sorry . Seem to have made a b****cks of including the images in the post. Here are the direct links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39387382@N07/5017845298/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39387382@N07/5017233847/

Hope these work OK now.