best winter gloves

DISCO2009
DISCO2009 Posts: 5
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
Hi Guys

If like me you suffer from cold fingertips while cycling, I have found the answer. I have tried many gloves including expensive Specilised winter gloves but still suffered cold fingers, until now!!

Bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Lobster Gloves from Parker International (a lot of money at £52), but I no longer have the painful problem of cold fingers, even when it is zero or below. I bought the XXL size so I can even fit one or two pairs of liner gloves underneath. Although on the bulky side, I can still brake perectly well and change gears OK.

Happy Cycling

Tim

Comments

• I've still yet to experience temperatures cold enough to defeat my Aldi winter gloves. -1 and still toasty.
    Bargain
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    nightoff wrote:
    I've still yet to experience temperatures cold enough to defeat my Aldi winter gloves. -1 and still toasty.
    Bargain

I have a pair of the Aldi gloves and last winter was an absolute nightmare. They were crap when it went below 0c. Invested in a pair of Spesh sub zero's, and bada bing. Quality!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I got a pair of Pearl Izumi Barrier Gloves a few weeks ago (£45 from cycle surgery) and am fairly impressed - arrived at work this morning after a one hour ride with slightly sweaty hands. Haven't yet been in the rain, but the cold protection is decent.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Thinsulate wooly gloves from Wilkinsons. Marigolds over the top ( wow, that yellow really shows up ) and black track mits over them.

So its only the fingers that are bright yellow, which help when I hand signal.

Put out the hand, and flash the bright yellow fingers like an indicator lamp.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    nightoff wrote:
    I've still yet to experience temperatures cold enough to defeat my Aldi winter gloves. -1 and still toasty.
    Bargain

I got some of the £4.99 Aldi ones this year. Good for the money, but what can you really expect for less than a fiver... I'm going to have to buy some liners as my fingers get so cold when the temp is anywhere around 0C.

I had some Madison Element fleece gloves last year and they were good but were totally wrecked after 5 months use. Probably worth the £15 though.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Last year I used Pearl Izumi Cyclones over Gore Liners

pearl-izumi-cyclone-glove-w09-48211.jpg + icebreaker-glove-liner.jpg?1283825228

And when it got really cold, I managed to get my Gore Ozon's on over the top! gore-bike-wear-xenon-windstopper-glove-men-s.jpg

FWIW - The Pearl Izumi's are pretty good - the little rubber bobbles for grip rubbed away very quickly, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. Pretty warm, and quite water resistant, if not competely water proof.

I tend to use liners as I do get pretty cold - also allows me to tuck the base layer sleeve into the liner, then put the outer gloves on, then put my arm down the sleeve of my jacket or long sleeve jersey - does a good job of keeping the wrist gap from appearing.

The Gore Ozon's were ok - performed well, but were falling apart after just one winter - the stitching started coming away on one of the index fingers. So good performance, but I need stuff to last longer than that.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • I use Aldi gloves too but first 4 miles or so I have cold finger ache.
    After that circulation kicks in and they are all I need so I suppose it all depends on how far you are going.

I have some expensive Specialize ones too which I hardly ever use. They end up being too warm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No probs here at all with Aldi winter's, -4C this morning and just a trace of a chill in my thumb tips before I started to generate enough heat from pedaling to warm back up, any thicker and they would be too hot for me.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bog standard TK-maxx ski gloves £13 with a decathlon £1 microfleece pair as a liner.
    -6C this morning and nice and toasty.

I always wear gloves as my fingers get cold fast and I suffer a lot if I'm not careful.

when it gets properly cold I've got a thicker microfleece pair to go in the ski gloves. they sorted me fine last year in the few -10 to -15 mornings
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Lots of the ski-type gloves seem to work ok BUT the issue is getting a pair that work in the cold and have decent waterproofing. Seems the holy grail of cycling wear. Maybe a pair of ski gloves and at the first sign of rain or sleet falling the Marigolds get donned over the top :) Actually think I may try this if I can find really big rubber gloves to carry for use in emergencies. I had a total nightmare ride last winter when a 50 mile ride started out with above zero temps (still pretty chilly) then it started to sleet and after 10 miles the supposed HEAD goretex-type waterproof, breathable etc ski gloves were like sponges of torture, fingers wet and frozen. Didn't feel much colder when I took them off. Close to tears by the time I got home, total agony. Would not want to repeat that experience again.
  • andyrr wrote:
    Lots of the ski-type gloves seem to work ok BUT the issue is getting a pair that work in the cold and have decent waterproofing. Seems the holy grail of cycling wear. Maybe a pair of ski gloves and at the first sign of rain or sleet falling the Marigolds get donned over the top :) Actually think I may try this if I can find really big rubber gloves to carry for use in emergencies. I had a total nightmare ride last winter when a 50 mile ride started out with above zero temps (still pretty chilly) then it started to sleet and after 10 miles the supposed HEAD goretex-type waterproof, breathable etc ski gloves were like sponges of torture, fingers wet and frozen. Didn't feel much colder when I took them off. Close to tears by the time I got home, total agony. Would not want to repeat that experience again.
    Maybe some latex surgical gloves would help in that rare situation.
    If you can't turn back and have another 40 miles to do, put the latex gloves over your glove liners and put the Heads back on.
    Your hands will stay dry , maybe it will keep the heat in as well.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    nightoff wrote:
    Bargain
    Go out again before they've dried out in -2C and my little fingers were freezing.

Last year I used latex (£1 for 20 odd in ASDA) inside Thinsulate woolies. It works well until you get sweaty palms as they wont breathe.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I've got 3 pairs of bad weather gloves, 2 of which were presents and all do the trick depending on the conditions.

For rain I use the Castelli Neoprone's and for winter either Specialized Subzero or Northwave Arctic.
  • SimonLyons wrote:
    I use Aldi gloves too but first 4 miles or so I have cold finger ache.
    After that circulation kicks in and they are all I need so I suppose it all depends on how far you are going.

I have some expensive Specialize ones too which I hardly ever use. They end up being too warm.

This is what I find with mine. My hands have a chill when I am sorting my bike pre commute, but when I have a couple of miles under my belt they are toasty. If they were any warmer I think my hands would overheat by the time I got to work. I find them good in the wet also.

Maybe my expectations are low but for now they are all I need.
  • I use Specialized Radiant gloves. Never had cold hands since I started using these.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks