Warm leg? I wish. Help.

lzkp5q
lzkp5q Posts: 9
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Wierdly enough I am enjoying the cold commute (first year of this - bring it on) and have the upper body layers sorted to a tea ..... if anything, a little too warm.
Cant keep the legs warm though, especially in the -3 ride this morning. All I am using is Ron Hill Bikesters.
What's the best suggestion for a thin under layer that will keep the chill off yet not prevent movement and make me overheat?
It's out there to be explored. Go do it.

Commuting: Boardman Hybrid Team
Fun: Scott Spark 40

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I guess this doesn't work for everyone but my advice would be to look for windproof, rather than warm. I use Endura Humvee trousers and they have no insulation or lining, but they keep the wind off, which is all I need given that I'm exercising.

I guess if it's really cold, or you are riding gently, a layer underneath might be required- thermals or similar ("base layer"?) but I havn't found that necessary, yet, and I'd be surprised if it got significantly colder this winter.

Cheers,
    W.
  • I have used a selection of bib longs over the last four winters and windproof has been the godsend. Favourites the sadly discontinued Adidas windproofs. Currently available, the Campag Raytech light damn expensive though. I have a pair of Santini winter tights that I have used a couple of times but not in the serious cold
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Find a "farmers shop" retail outlet on the internet and buy the lightweight overtrousers farmers use, keep dry and windproof, about £20
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • I'm wearing a pair of what I can only describe as fleecy longjohns I scrounged from work. Basically, these ;

http://www.henrilloyd.com/store/p-29-at ... tight.aspx

Strangely enough....under a pair of ron hill running tights!

Super warm and toasty.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • I find if I have warm feet I have no trouble with my legs - maybe not the same for you.

2 pairs of socks + overshoes to keep the cold out.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I sometimes wear an extra pair of shorts over my tights and I've also been known to wear knee warmers over the top as well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Karrimor winter 'long john', snug enough to call tights, under just a pair of baggy shorts was spot on for me at -4C this morning, base layer under soft shell on top and a 'snuggy' for neck and ears - sorted, any warmer would have been 2 warm as I had the softshell half unzipped by the time I got to work.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lzkp5q wrote:
    ..have the upper body layers sorted to a tea ..... if anything, a little too warm.
    -1 in south london this morning
    De Marchi Base layer, Briko long sleeved jersey and Rudy Project gilet.
    Cant keep the legs warm though, especially in the -3 ride this morning. All I am using is Ron Hill Bikesters.
    What's the best suggestion for a thin under layer that will keep the chill off yet not prevent movement and make me overheat?
    I was lucky ennough to pick up some Assos unpadded Airblock bibtights reduced to £65 , 7 years ago.
    They are without a doubt the best piece of winter clothing I own.
    I wear bibshorts underneath.
    If you have the opportunity go and try some Assos Winter LL's at your LBS , then add them to your Xmas wishlist.
    You can *still* buy the Airblocks.
    http://reviews.wiggle.co.uk/7867/536001 ... eviews.htm

"The Assos airblock type 851 fabric is a 3 layer laminated membrane textile which prevents cold air from penetrating onto your bodies surface."

"Although the airblock fabric is less elastic, Assos have managed to tailor this textile to be perfectly functional without restricting any of your movements"
  • ...base layer under soft shell on top and a 'snuggy' for neck and ears - sorted, any warmer would have been 2 warm as I had the softshell half unzipped by the time I got to work.
    I don't understand the popularity of "softshells".
    Unless you are pootling along at 10mph you start to cook underneath which is what you are finding.
    Far better to start out a bit chilly and cycle ~18mph average.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlDLTWfkmU

"great in just about any temperature below 40" ( ~4 degs ) .... especially as the pace increases"
  • I use Hincapie Alpe bibtights, not cheap but windproof and water resistant. Last two days have been snowy and icy and cycling into a 30mph northerly wasn't pleasant but legs and everything else remained toasty warm. Invest as much as you can.
    Giant TCR Composite (race), Giant TCR (summer commute) & Giant Revel for winter commute. Ironman
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    fatherted wrote:
    ...base layer under soft shell on top and a 'snuggy' for neck and ears - sorted, any warmer would have been 2 warm as I had the softshell half unzipped by the time I got to work.
    I don't understand the popularity of "softshells".
    Unless you are pootling along at 10mph you start to cook underneath which is what you are finding.
    Far better to start out a bit chilly and cycle ~18mph average.

I average about 18mph over my 6.6miles.....I think at speed they are fine as they aren't totally windproof, its the 2 hills when I go slower and work harder I need to get a little more airflow, I can't think of anything that would do the job better.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have the same trousers which i wear a pair of cycling shorts underneath and they are not cold proof on very chilly days.

I wear a pair of leg warmers underneath to keep the chill off, you can grab a pair for a tenner off ebay .
    FCN 3/5/9