Holiday in Scotland any advice?

shaunlfc1
shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
edited November 2010 in Routes
Hi all,

Can anyone give advice on where to holiday in Scotland for a top MTBing holiday? In August a group of 10 of us had a superb weeks holiday in the lakes and we're now wanting to go to Scotland for a week in August 2011.

Now I appreciate Scotland is huge and cannot be covered in one week, but not one of my group has been to Scotland before and we've all read and watched loads regarding how good it is for MTBing so I feel its a case of getting opinion from people who have been and or live up there.

Rather then spend hours trawling through websites regarding accomadation etc..... I thought forums like this would give me the best foundation to start planning:

So any advice on the following would be good:

Self catering cottages - sleep 10-16
Natural and trail centre riding hot spots
Would be nice to be situated in a nice village with a good village pub.
Any other info you think to be relevant

Thanks,

Shaun

Comments

• It depends how far you want to go in scotland.
    If you stay in or around Dumfries, you have all 7 stanes to go to with the nearest 10 mins for mabie and all the way to glentress thats a couple of hours.
    www.mabiehousehotel.co.uk for hotel but may be expensive but they do
    Continental Camping Huts.
    Then there is camping all along the coast at either southerness holiday park www.parkdeanholidays.co.uk which is along by Mabie.
    or use Castlepoint Caravan Park at Rockcliffe. www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/dumfriesa ... epoint.htm
    Also Dalbeattie has www.gorsebank.com which have wigwams. which is 20 mins away from Dumfries.

Hope this helps.
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    You could do worse than base yourselves near Aviemore, or slightly North towards Inverness. Then you've got purpose-built trails within easy driving at Laggan WolfTrax (my personal fave), Learny RedRock on Black Isle, and now The Lecht (short and pricey, so do it lots of times!), and also the Moray Monster trails (although that's more of a drive). PLUS, endless natural riding in Rothimurchas and Abernethy forests in the majesty of the Cairngorms (and other places too - buy maps!). Plus not too far from Strathpeffer and environs (N of Inverness) where there's some lovely natural singletrack.

August is likely to be midgey though, and watch out of ticks.

Might be worth a night or 2 in Dumfries on the way up or back for 7 stanes. That way you get best of all worlds. But to really experience Scotland you really need to get further N than the Central Belt.

Hmmm think you're going to need more than a week!

(Alternatively, base near Laggan or Fort William, then you've got Laggan WolfTrax and all those Nevis Range trails - but W of the A9 the weather and midgies are significantly worse, as are the number of tourists in August - Dutch caravans everywhere!).

Lucy
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Did the Highlands a few years ago, and then the Borders last year. While the former does have stunning scenery, and lots of great trails, its one hell of a trek to get up there, and once there, the distances between places is huge. The weather is also pants! Personally, I think the trail centres in the South have more to offer, and you can also get in a day trip to Edinburgh, Glasgow etc, which is good fun. This year, I went up to Selkirk in the Borders for the CRC Marathon in August, and then stayed a few days to take in some of the 7 Staines trails - can highly recommend it - great holiday!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • 7 stanes based at mabie is ideal
    mabie on your door step
    ae 20 mins max away
    dalbeattie 15 mins away
    glentress 90 mins away
    kiroughtree max 75 mins

stay here
    http://www.7stanes.com/mabie-house-pods-i601628.html
    sleeps up to 12 a great way to spend your time
    dont only ride a bike
  • Another one in favour of Aviemore area, but that's 'cos I'm biased and live half an hour up the A9 !
    You'll have a good mix of man made and natural stuff, all within easy reach. There's easy(ish) natural trails like the Burma Road straight out of Aviemore, and if you're ambitious you can go to Glen Feshie and get yourself a couple of Munros into the bargain, not to mention the Carn Ban Mor downhill at the end.
    You're also close enough if you want to do a big day and do something like the Torridon circuit in Wester Ross - an hour and a half from Aviemore certainly but a great day out on the bike.
    There's enough pubs and eateries in Aviemore to keep you going for a week.
    Just bring plenty of Skin So Soft to keep the midgies at bay. Nearly.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you decide on Aviemore you can PM me for local advice as I live there :-)

Not only is there loads to do on a bike but heaps of cheap accommodation (the bunk house and youth hostel), places to eat, bars and night life. You're near a few trail centres but there's so much good natural stuff too. For the very fit the Burma Road is a must (2300 feet). But it's also possible to ride all the way to the top of Cairngorm, 4300 feet or whatever. And of course the Badaguish XC race circuit. Even for the unfit there are dozens of miles of logging roads and prepared tourist paths.

We also have three bike shops so there's a decent chance of finding spares in stock.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Thanks for the info so far, given me lots to think about. We do want to do Aviemore as have read lots about the Caledonian Sleeper, and knowing a weekend is no where near enough time.

We do like a trail centre so the 7 stanes is probably our best bet there. But again natural XC loops with lots of great natural singletrack and challenges would be preferred, if the right location is chosen!

I will start looking into all your suggestions and gathering my case to take to the rest of the group.

What would you say is the best time of year to go midgie wise, weather is not important we are hard Southern softies ha ha

Cheers,

Shaun
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    What would you say is the best time of year to go midgie wise

More of a west coast problem, we don't get them in Aviemore.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    i also say stay near avimore/inverness as has been said above,most of what has been mentioned up near there are trail centres,id also say balblair is worth a visit,you can link it up with carbisdale.

http://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6MQD2A

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recr ... uemdsx&sr=

as for accomidation,you could give this site a look,i booked a cottage in march this year just outside inverness,and was very happy with it.

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/sites/cot ... /Home.aspx
  • Tweed Love is a bike event based in Peebles near Glentress,Scottish Borders.
    So you can explore the trail centres yourself and also do rides as part of the weeks event which includes some evening events as well.

Mabie,Ae, Newcastleton and even Kielder are within easy driving distance along with the other 7 Stanes slightly further away.
    Plus some great rides on tracks used by Merida Marathon around Selkirk.

Last year was the first one, next year should be even better.
    Do a search on Google. for the date.
    Peebles has loads of accomodation to suit all prices.

Mind you the Highlands are good too!
  • If it was me and my mates

I would base myself here for the week, then your have the 7 stanes to play with

http://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/

then bed and break in peebles to go play at glentress
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials