How Do You Stop A Jaguar?

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Or any other car for that matter?

I was waiting in the ASL outside Surrey Quays Station, another rider to my left. Behind me was a dark blue 04 plate Jaguar XJ. As the lights change both us cyclists set off but the Jag boots it. I noticed its bonnet as it skimmed past my right leg, I try & lean away but its wing mirror clips my elbow and the car races off. I wobble a bit, curse some, but what can I do?

I'm not actually hurt badly but I'm p'd off, so I set off in persuit. After about a mile, I see the car stopped just before some lights but as I draw close the lights change and although I manage to overtake the car, it had already started to move - do I stop in the middle ot the road? Try & sign the driver to stop? I was also breathing heavily so I let the XJ continue & chase off again. Fortunately for me, traffic is heavy and the car is brought to a halt 1/2 mile further on. I pull up beside it and there is some oblivious looking woman smoking a fag. I had a rant at her (no swearing) but it was obvious she hadn't noticed that she'd hit me - I gave up and carried on home...

But the question is, how do you stop a tonne or so of car thats injured you or damaged your bike and driven off in moving traffic?

Comments

• Hmm, if no chance of a headcam and a report of an (unreported) traffic accident at the police station about 100 yards back, then fall off very, very noisily using maximum lung power! Bikes aren't really designed for intercepting vehicles driven by people who aren't paying attention or simply don't care.

So where'd you catch up with her? The lights by the John Evelyn? That's where people who try to run me off the road end up getting catch-up-able.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think the method varies, depending on whether you're a tortoise or a hedgehog.

Oh! Didn't read the post.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Put your foot on the middle pedal :twisted:

Seriously though, not much else you can do as there is nothing to report. Close calls don't count in the eyes of the law from what I have seen.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Throwing a certain part of a spark plug at the back window sure grabs there attention. :twisted: :lol:

But seriously don't try it!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    djrock wrote:
    Throwing a certain part of a spark plug at the back window sure grabs there attention. :twisted: :lol:

But seriously don't try it!

Doing the same with a Charge Plug would do likewise...!

Like the others - not sure what else you could do. I've had similar close calls, but unless they're stopped right there in traffic, I just swear loudly and ride off shaking my head. You can't teach them all unfortunately.

Oh, and I wouldn't advocate falling off as loudly as possible - that'd surely hurt you more than you were already, wouldn't it?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Failing to stop, failing to report, both criminal offences that the Polce now take a lot more seriously, although you need to report yourself within 24 hours otherwise you are also guilty!

Stop a Jaguar, couple of kilo's of steak should do it?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Failing to stop, failing to report, both criminal offences that the Polce now take a lot more seriously, although you need to report yourself within 24 hours otherwise you are also guilty!
    Simon

Only if there is an incident (actual damage or knocked off) to report though. Close isn't enough. Trying to shame them into learning is probably the only recourse.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    There was an incident. The car hit the original poster, albeit with the wing mirror. That's still a collision and shouldn't happen if the driver is paying attention. Ic you have the number plate report it to the pics.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    If they're at a stop light you can open their rear door a crack so the pinger goes off :)
    They have to get out and you can talk to them then, or just cyle off.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • Metal elbow pads. They'll catch a bit of paintwork for later identification. And drivers seem to be much more willing to stop if they hear a scrape.

Also, get a camera.

*nips off to order camera for christmas*
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    pst88 wrote:
    There was an incident. The car hit the original poster, albeit with the wing mirror. That's still a collision and shouldn't happen if the driver is paying attention. Ic you have the number plate report it to the pics.

No witnesses, no damage. It won't get anywhere.
  • Headcam, £30 in Maplin or 100% identical here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-Hidden-Vi ... 2c565c7a36

I have eight, on my helmet I have 1 facing front 1 facing back, wrapped in cling film great in wet, attached with velcro

see

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Ugh - the "cam" brigade.....

I hope you are not hurt too badly. Ultimately, if you were more seriously injured you would have a criminal offence being commited by said Jag.

Several options here:

1, Report it to the Police and be injured: Get the reg and time of incident and any witnesses. CCTV footage, if available, may show the incident...

2, Catch car, drag driver out for a traditional kicking (Not recommended)

3, Catch car and tear wing mirrors off, she is clearly not using them and they are just adding weight and taking away aero efficiency, throw wing mirror down nearest drain. (Not recommended)

Ultimately, even if you have footage of it, there is bugger all you can do unless you are seriously injured - the Police would probably look at this as a "trfling matter" even though they should take every incident as a serious matter

+1 @Chiggy
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I'd have folded said wing mirror and off I'd go.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I'd have folded said wing mirror and off I'd go.

+1.
    Means she has to let the cold air in to reset mirror, *if* she uses it.
    "No, officer, it got folded back when she hit me with it..."

Total removal of mirrors requires more provocation (and great big motorbike boots...)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I was side hit by a sporty number, but I stayed upright, and the sound of my pedal running down the length of their bodywork was nice instant karma so i didn't bother chasing.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I have also been wing-mirror-ed by a jaguar recently, an older one, driven by an old buffer who I would have liked to go in for re-testing because I honestly think he was blind as a bat. He'd also cut up a motorbike, and caused carnage pulling onto Park Lane after he bumped me.

I followed him, it turned out we were going the same way, and at a light I know is a long one I rapped on his window, he opened it, and I politely yet firmly informed him that he had wing-mirror-ed me as he pulled onto Park Lane. He apologised in the world weary way that someone does when this is a regular occurrence.

I considered making mention of it to the po-po, but had forgotten his rego by the time I was out of the shower.
  • Pufftmw
    Question is really, how do you stop a car that hits you/bike and drives off - without re-enacting the police van scene in Whitehall yesterday?
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Ugh - the "cam" brigade.....

Ultimately, even if you have footage of it, there is bugger all you can do unless you are seriously injured - the Police would probably look at this as a "trfling matter" even though they should take every incident as a serious matter

+1 @Chiggy

How sad, I have passed videos to the police of an incident where a driver was verbally abusive to me simply for being on the road, his tyres screeched as he drive off after hitting me from his car by leaning out, the police DID act, road rage.

Thanks to the WHOLE incident except the hit being recorded, but the screeching tyres, and his language were enough. Thanks to MY cameras.

I do not consider even being bullied by a car driver acceptabvle let alone a "trivial"hit by a door mirror, would a driver consider a hit to his car trivial by a bike rider no.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Question is really, how do you stop a car that hits you/bike and drives off - without re-enacting the police van scene in Whitehall yesterday?

You can stick the bike in front of them and hope they don't ram or run over you. Or open the boot (not recommended) and shout from there....
  • Pufftmw wrote:

I'm getting a Benny Hill feel from this... But then I have no idea what actually happened.

I guess you could plant yourself in front of them at a set of lights, that might work, but in all honesty I think the answer is that you can't stop a car that is intent on not stopping.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I do not consider even being bullied by a car driver acceptabvle let alone a "trivial"hit by a door mirror, would a driver consider a hit to his car trivial by a bike rider no.

A, OP not injured.
    B, The Police would do nothing anyway.

Then don't ride a bike on the road if you are not prepared to take any risks. MTFU and ride more assertively and make the road yours so that you don't get bullied. Or do you lack a bit of confidence/speed/fitness and need to "cam" every little incident and be a right pain in the butt about it. Making all cyclists look like pedants who think they know best for every road user.....?

Get a life.
  • motdoc wrote:
    If they're at a stop light you can open their rear door a crack so the pinger goes off :)
    They have to get out and you can talk to them then, or just cyle off.

Like this idea a lot :)
  • gtvlusso wrote:

A, OP not injured.

Then don't ride a bike on the road if you are not prepared to take any risks. MTFU and ride more assertively and make the road yours so that you don't get bullied. Or do you lack a bit of confidence/speed/fitness and need to "cam" every little incident and be a right pain in the butt about it. Making all cyclists look like pedants who think they know best for every road user.....?

Get a life.

Would the Met/CPS take the OP's incident to court - highly unlikely; borderline - not a chance in hell.

However, what they might do if you were persistent is give the driver a visit and a talking to - at least this approach gets the curtains twitching and flags up the driver as someone who is careless and inconsiderate around more vulnerable road users. Whether you think a minor collision of this sort is worth pursuing depends on your threshold of what constitutes dangerous behaviour on the roads. Me? I'd be inclined to let it go.

Riding assertively does not mean that you will not get bullied (some drivers will take exception to assertive riding), but it does tend to mean you will be less likely to be treated as an inconvenient obstacle that must be overtaken at all cost.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Pufftmw wrote:
    The question is, how do you stop a tonne or so of car thats injured you or damaged your bike and driven off in moving traffic?

With two tonnes or so of bike(s). Bring on critical mass.

My advice: Stay clear of ASLs (I am 'familiar' with that particular ASL). Better safe than sorry.

And if you commute regularly in London, you cannot allow near-misses to get to you.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    gtvlusso wrote:

A, OP not injured.

Get a life.

:roll:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Pufftmw
    navt wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    The question is, how do you stop a tonne or so of car thats injured you or damaged your bike and driven off in moving traffic?

My advice: Stay clear of ASLs (I am 'familiar' with that particular ASL). Better safe than sorry.

And if you commute regularly in London, you cannot allow near-misses to get to you.

Don't worry, ex-courier so used to the fun/frollicks but the question was rhetorical as opposed to looking for advice on this particular incident.
  • Afraid i'm in the "Hair of the dog that bit you", instant justice brigade on this one. Only two drawbacks.
    1. Its criminal damage so make sure you're not under the nose of the law.
    2. You might be upping the ante a little so make sure you have an escape route/heavy traffic.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Afraid i'm in the "Hair of the dog that bit you", instant justice brigade on this one. Only two drawbacks.
    1. Its criminal damage so make sure you're not under the nose of the law.
    2. You might be upping the ante a little so make sure you have an escape route/heavy traffic.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Chiggy wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

No witnesses, no damage. It won't get anywhere.
    Maybe that's the case but it's still worth reporting. I know someone who reported a near miss to the police and they tracked the driver down and gave him a stern talking to. Hopefully that's enough to make the driver take more care out on the road. If not then it's still on record for the next time they get reported and the police will see it's not an isolated incident and be harsher on them.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010