Shifter mixing?

tackleberry
tackleberry Posts: 81
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Now I know this may sound like a dumb question but ...............I don't know if I should be asking this.......it's very embarassing .......but I am just going to come out and say it............

Can you mix Campagnolo shifters with a Shimano derailleur?

There I said it.

Let the banter begin!!

T

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    nicklouse wrote:
    No.
    Actually you can.

They won't work, mind... :wink:
  • 5207299943_fb382f2d16_s.jpg

No.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Yes, you can!

All derailleurs have the same function and aren't indexed, therefore one is like the other. There might be a minor issue with chain/jockey wheels, but it can easily be resolved by replacing them
    left the forum March 2023
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Yes, but only a few configurations will actually work. More info: http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

And no, the derailleurs aren't indexed, but y mm sideways movement as a result of x mm cable pull varies across all three brands.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Shifters and mechs are matched - a given cable pull in the shifter will create a fixed lateral movement in the rear mech. As the cable pull ratios are different between Shimano and Campagnolo, the indexing won't be right unless you correct it. Either use a J-Tek shiftmate or use one of the 'fixes' shown on the highpath engineering website - a combination of Campagnolo 10 speed shifter and Shimano 8 speed rear is about the only one that works without a fix - depends on what your acceptable level of 'roughness' is
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Shifters and mechs are matched - a given cable pull in the shifter will create a fixed lateral movement in the rear mech. As the cable pull ratios are different between Shimano and Campagnolo, the indexing won't be right unless you correct it. Either use a J-Tek shiftmate or use one of the 'fixes' shown on the highpath engineering website - a combination of Campagnolo 10 speed shifter and Shimano 8 speed rear is about the only one that works without a fix - depends on what your acceptable level of 'roughness' is

+1 apparently they do work but I've never tried. Teeth spacing is different so wont shift properly !