rear shock not extending fully

Koiler
Koiler Posts: 513
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
new shock, new problem...

got a Manitou Swinger x6 coil, and having fitted it, and ridden on it a couple of times, ive noticed that it doesn't seem to be fully extending, it looks shorter than the Van R that it replaced. there is a larger gap between the top of the shock and the frame.

if i lift the back of the bike with one hand, and push down on the rear section of the frame (rocker) with the other, then the shock will extend fully, but after compressing it again, it sits 'squashed' into its travel.

anyone know what could be causing this?

the shock was brand new. fitted with a manitou spring and mounts/ bushings from BETD
(i have measured it, and its the right size)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what pressure settings do you have in the SPV?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Koiler
    running about 85 PSI.

I weigh about 11St (154Lbs) used the Tf Tuned calc to get the spring. recommended 500Lbs. seems to be about right as far as sag is concerned
  • nicklouse
    Koiler wrote:
    running about 85 PSI.

about is what? as long as it is over 50 and less than 175 psi that is fine.

the spring is seated correctly on the collars? 1mm of preload.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Koiler
    about 85 is somewhere between 80 and 90 :lol: definitely over 50 and below 175. (using a genuine Manitou SPV low pressure pump)

went for 85 PSI as its just over half my body weight in accordance with the manual. Also used the setup guide on Tf Tuned's website (which was basically the same, just more detailed)

the spring is definitely seated properly and preload was maybe a touch over 1mm. (i measured it when installing)

although new, its a 2008 model courtesy of CRCs clearance sale, is it possible that being sat on a shelf for that long could have affected it?

thanks!
  • nicklouse
    normally the shock should fully extend even with the spring removed. so i am tempted to say that something is not right.

but before doing anything drastic wind all the rebound and compression damping off (so it is easy to move) and bounce on the bike a few time. I am thinking some thick grease is sticking somewhere.

your options are use as is and see if it gets better or send it for a service or return it.
  • Koiler
    cool, thanks nicklouse

i had thought that maybe it needs running in a bit, and I tried winding all the compression damping off but its still the same.

one other thing, the rebound doesnt seem all that quick even with minimum damping its only just about quick enough. maybe this is related.

i think ill go for another ride tomorrow and see if it loosens up, if not, ill contact the retailer and see what they say.

thanks for your help