Carbon Frame: Bubbles appearing under the laquer.

Rostropovich
Rostropovich Posts: 22
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Hi - I've owned a Fuji Team Pro (carbon) road bike since March 2010 - it's been cleaned regularly, certainly after wet rides, and is generally well maintained after about 2,000 miles of use. I noticed this week that bubbles have started to appear under the lacquer - noticable on the downtube down by the chainset and they're starting to spread upwards. These are not scratches, they appear to be where the lacquer is coming away from the carbon; a bit like what used to happen to varnish on old school desks if you applied pressure with a pencil...

This is a cosmetic quibble, the frame integrity seems to be fine, however after only 8 months of use it seems a bit of a shame. Does this normally happen to carbon frames and if so is a matter of months acceptable, or should it be more like years? I'm considering complaining about it as the bike is still under warranty. Does anyone think I'd be wasting my time?

This probably wouldn't be noticeable on light colors, but it clearly shows up over carbon weave.

Cheers.

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    As you say, cosmetic, but would definitely complain to the supplier, and ask for the fault to be rectified. Shouldnt be happening on a 8 month old frame.

Who knows what the causes of it are, maybe an indication of some defect in the frame material.
  • Who knows what the causes of it are, maybe an indication of some defect in the frame material.

Good point! I'll get down to my lbs armed with the documents...
  • Eeeerm, i'd take it back.

It is usually caused by reaction between the carbon and aluminium inserts such as bottle cages and bottom bracket shells. It's nothing to worry about but shouldn't be happening this quickly. After a year or so I wouldn't quibble but 8 months in i'd be rather miffed.
  • much obliged...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You didn't get it wet did you?
  • Actually, I did get it wet on a couple of occasions and both the bike and I had to go to group counseling.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Actually, I did get it wet on a couple of occasions and both the bike and I had to go to group counseling.

Shouldn't that be "Groupset counselling" :lol:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Actually, I did get it wet on a couple of occasions and both the bike and I had to go to group counseling.
    Well there you go you see, you're lucky it didn't melt away entirely ....