LBL Sportive

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a Liege Bastogne Liege sportive, please?

Ta
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • pottssteve
    Thanks, Wicked,

I assume the links will be set up at some point.

Steve
  • This is what you want, I think they will update it for 2011 around the turn of the year.

http://sport.be.msn.com/cyclingtour/til ... /2010/eng/

I rode the Chouffre Classic which is a month or so later later this year. It also covers part of the LBL route and is one I would recommend.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I rode this in 2007, beautiful scenery although it poured with rain for about 4 hours which spoilt the view a bit. There was also a weird detour down an unpaved forest road which caused chaos with punctures although I believe this was a one-off due to roadworks.

As with other Belgian sportifs (like Tour of Flanders), there was no chip timing system, using punchcards like an audax (unfortunately the control cards were not waterproof so that went for a ball of chalk).

Also the route starts and finishes in Tilff which is about 15km from the actual finished in Ans used for the pro race, so not quite the authentic full monty.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are two sportives in the region - Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff which is usually May/June and there's a les Geants des Ardennes in August which takes in Cotes de Wanne and Rosier, La Redoute, La Roche aux Faucons. Not finishing in Ans is probably a blessing - riding through the suburbs of Liege is not exactly an inspiring route. Neither event accurately follows the LBL route either. When I first rode T-B-T it felt more like a club ride - now there are nearly 10,000 riders. I rode the 2007 event too when it hooned-down for 4 hours - I was blue and shaking by Bastogne. It's fantastic, quiet cycling country with considerate drivers IME - I enjoy riding there - 220km in 6 hours is my record.

http://sport.be.msn.com/cyclingtour/2010/fr/
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pottssteve
    Thanks for the info and links, chaps. I'm looking at doing either LBL or Amstel Gold, though I think Amstel is favourite 'cos it's easier to get to and from the route. Registrations open in December. I've never done a sportif before so any advice is appreciated.

Agreed that the countryside is pleasant and most of the drivers considerate. I'm hoping the snow holds off until next week so I can get out again over the weekend. :wink:

Steve
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Think all 12,000 Amstel Gold places sold out within a day last year, so make sure you can get online when the entry opens.

Monty Dog - yes, we got so wet and cold by the time we got to Bastogne that we were considering getting the train back to Liege. Was our own fault for not dressing to the weather forecast (or actually watching the weather forecast for that matter :roll: ).

Still it was nice and warm by the time we climbed the Cote de la Redoute. Which was nice.