Thank Goodness for Redundancy

SamWise72
SamWise72 Posts: 453
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Of lighting systems, I mean. My standard setup is a Magicshine front light, and a Dinotte rear. I have a 2AA Cree torch as backup, and the on my helmet a single AA light (running a higher current Li-Ion battery instead), and a cheapo blinky on the back. Yesterday, I had to leave my Magicshine at home, pending cable repairs (it's a first-gen light). My outward journey was in daylight, so it was only getting on the bike outside Westminster City Hall that I realised the mount for the torch was on a different bike. Then, on arrival at Waterloo, I managed to lose the battery carrier on my Dinotte when disconnecting it (along with 4 brand new high quality rechargeable AAs). Thank goodness for my helmet lights, which got me home! Have lots of lights, people.
MiniLogo-1.jpg
http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Similar thing happened to me on Tuesday. Was dropping the car off for it's MoT with a garage in the next village. About to cycle home on the tourer when I found my flasher had flat batteries, I've not used it in months and suspect it may have been accidentally left on. Luckily I had my Maglite with headband.

By the way, if anyone has an old Maglite lying around you can get a modern LED upgrade for them cheaply. Mine is about ten times brighter than before.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    unixnerd wrote:
    By the way, if anyone has an old Maglite lying around you can get a modern LED upgrade for them cheaply. Mine is about ten times brighter than before.

Ooh linky linky please - I've got several of those kicking around.

...sigh, OK I'll google it before someone sends me to LMGTFY
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Attica wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

You look it up old chap then send me the link plse :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    itboffin wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

You look it up old chap then send me the link plse :wink:

Why you lazy...ahem
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ta I'd already found them my google-fu is strong :D

Can i be arsed to upgrade ...?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

This is the one I bought, after a bit of research it was by far the most effective.
    http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/TerraLUX_TLE-5EX.html

That's for the 2xAA Maglite but he does other versions too. He claims 140 lumens and I can easily believe that, if not more. Off road I run the latest MJ0836 Magicshine on the bars and the Maglite on my head strap, really effective combination. Batteries last at least 2 hours before a recharge.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:

I knew it was possible but I'd forgotten. Thanks for reminding me and for the others on the thread for posting links. I see some maglite upgrades in my near future. :)

Mike