Silver solder question

Stellite
Stellite Posts: 544
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Im going to build a stem. Stainless steel lugs and steel connecting tube.

Can anybody recommend suitable rods for brazing. I can get rods with 55% or 38% silver rods. and can get Unitor AG60 rods from work.

Ceeway have advised a lower silver content may be advisable to obtain a stronger joint.

Cheers

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would only have suggested speaking to Ceeway....or try these chaps:

http://www.frameforum.org/forum3/index.php
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Cheers for the link Monty. Ceeway couldn't give any advice as they are not bike builders, but they have been extremely helpful in all other areas
  • Is this really a job to use silver brazing on? To be successfull the joint needs to socket in at each end to form a collar of braze not just a fillet. I would be far happier getting a TIG welder to do his stuff for the promise of a pint or reciprocal service.

55% silver braze runs like p*ss when heated and will make a pretty horrid mess all over that will need cleaning up. TBH is it worth all this faff when you can get any sensible length/angle combination in any price range. Imagine you are paying yourself say £10 an hour is it worth risking a "shed job" on one of the most potentially dangerous bike components if it fails?

My day job is as a brazer and I would not contemplate using such a stem, buy one from someone who knows how its done is my advice