Best Frame Material

rogerthecat
rogerthecat Posts: 669
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
Doing 80 -100 miles a day over 10 days which frame material is best suited, or is there no difference?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited November 2010
    Here we go again!

Most important thing is fit. If the fit is perfect then the rest is just gravy.
    I'm a big fan of Carbon Fibre though, but again, I'd rather have an aluminium frame that fit perfectly over a CF one that wasn't quite right.

I have a bike represented by each of those frame materials btw...
  • Titanium is not "best" if you're skint. Otherwise it is :D
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Here we go again!

Most important thing is fit. If the fit is perfect then the rest is just gravy.
    I'm a big fan of Carbon Fibre though, but again, I'd rather have an aluminium frame that fit perfectly over a CF one that wasn't quite right.

I have a bike represented by each of those frame materials btw...

Yes I agree over fit ND, however I was given the impression that the frame material had an impact on ride quality. I have only used Aluminium and Carbon, but as they are different frame geometries it is difficult to compare.

Thanks you for feedback though.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The frame material wont make or break your tour.
    Decide what tyre clearance you need, whether you want mudguards, what luggage and braze-ons/threads you need on the frame, what axle width and what size.
    There is no point looking for a carbon fibre medium touring bike, no-body makes them. I'm sure they could, they just dont.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Choice of tyres and saddle is far more important than frame material when it comes to comfort on a tour.

Most tourers opt for steel, but comfort is only one element to this - there are also considerations of cost, robustness, ease of repair, and the fact that steel is less likely to fail unexpectedly. Also, most custom builders prefer steel, and custom is a good option for tourers because there is less choice in off the peg bikes.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Choice of tyres and saddle is far more important than frame material when it comes to comfort on a tour.

Most tourers opt for steel, but comfort is only one element to this - there are also considerations of cost, robustness, ease of repair, and the fact that steel is less likely to fail unexpectedly. Also, most custom builders prefer steel, and custom is a good option for tourers because there is less choice in off the peg bikes.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Not to buy into an argument over which material is intrinsically 'better' for a bicycle frame - there are simply too many other variables, plus the all important personal preference, for there to be any correct answer - but strictly for touring applications, and this is the Tour & Expedition page, I can't see the sense of carbon on a tour. Touring bikes have a certain geometry, and are build to perform a certain function - carrying rider and gear over many miles, reliably, for days and in all sorts of conditions.

Carbon as a material may be up for the job, although I can see some disadvantages, but the fact is I've never seen an actual carbon touring bike - all the carbon bikes I've seen are all built on road, racing or at best audax designs.

People do tour on carbon bikes, I'm sure, they go with what they've got, but could anyone really say argue that it is the Best material for a tourer?