That Old Chestnut - Gearing!

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
edited November 2010 in Track
Picked my new track bike up yesterday and it has a 48 chainring and 14 / 15 teeth on the rear (90.1 or 84.1). I have previously only ridden the Pinnarello hire bikes at Newport and don't know what gearing they run with so I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which option I would best using for drop in training sessions at Newport. I don't want to be undergeared and revving my nuts off to keep up with the paceline but also don't want to be on a gear that leaves me struggling to get up the banking. I was comfortable on the hire bike gearing for the beginners and improvers courses but this would have been lower speed riding than I'm anticipating at the drop in or club sessions!

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12720666

Personally, I'd have thought 90" a bit too big for riding on a 250m track.
  • Pross
    Thanks Bronzie, knew it had been discussed before but I can never get on with the search facilities on here!
  • I don't know why, but when talking about track gear inches, an assumption of 27" wheel is made. So irrespective of the tyre used, the gearing 48 x 14 or 15 is called 92.5 or 86.4.

86 is the standard gearing for training, whereas beginner bikes are usually fitted with 84 . At Manchester, anything above 88 is restricted except for competition and Sprint/Keirin SQTs.
  • Pross
    Thanks - that explains why my check on Sheldon Brown differs from what I was told the gearing was by the mate I bought the bike off! 48 x 15 sounds ideal for me then, will remove the 14 as I know not all coaches will allow a 'flip flop' with the spare sprocket.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross wrote:
    Thanks - that explains why my check on Sheldon Brown differs from what I was told the gearing was by the mate I bought the bike off! 48 x 15 sounds ideal for me then, will remove the 14 as I know not all coaches will allow a 'flip flop' with the spare sprocket.
    Hi.
    i do notknow anyon who does not allow flip flop wheels as loads of ridrs use them for training.
    For what your doing 48 x 15 is ideal.
    I Use mostly 51 x 15 for racing but sometimes use lower egar for warmingupduring events.
    I would stay off 48 x 14 until you get used to the leg speed, if you struggle to keep up just learn to pedal faster, seriously.

I would not worry about being overgeard and struggling to get up the bank as that should not really be possible as 16mph + is plenty to get up the bank and to go that slow you would need 53 x 11 :D

Onc you get more practice and start racing then look at higher gear but I would go for 51 x 15 as you may struggle with 48 x 14 unless your in much faster races.
    Oh and of course that would probably eb ok if your looking at pursuit, but fornow I would even use 48 x 15 for that.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Pross, what bike did you get?

I've managed to pick up a bargain Giant Omnium over here in Oz (last in the shop) - and, bucking the trend, it's cheaper here than the UK.

Comes with 48T chainring, and a selection of 4 sprockets 15 thru' 18.

Was thinking of possibly getting an extra chainring, but advice from here would suggest that's probably not necessary just yet.

Any thoughts?

(Apologies for the hijack!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Pross
    Tommy, I picked up a second hand Giant Omnium. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, will give it an airing Sunday night hopefully. I was offered a 50t chainring to go with it for an extra £20.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Nice one - well we can both compare notes in a few weeks then hopefully. Should certainly be a step or two up from the 20 y/o steel "Colnago" I'd been riding in Reading.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • My bike has a 48 fron CR, and I have just tried using a 14 rear and its way too big. Trouble is I am really struggling with leg speed with the wed and thur sessions using the 15 that I did have, I cannot keep up once the paceline gets quicker, but I can on the higher gear. trouble is the higher gear is too big for pursuiting! Short of changing to a 50x15 then not going to have to revert back to the original gearing.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    My bike has a 48 fron CR, and I have just tried using a 14 rear and its way too big. Trouble is I am really struggling with leg speed with the wed and thur sessions using the 15 that I did have, I cannot keep up once the paceline gets quicker, but I can on the higher gear. trouble is the higher gear is too big for pursuiting! Short of changing to a 50x15 then not going to have to revert back to the original gearing.
    Not sure how you work that one out Steve :D
    The majority of people use higher gears for pursuiting because one you get the gear rolling you just keep it going. Most use from 92" upwards. I know the UK team been m,essing round with gears up to 130" !!! But not for us mere mortals, most use 92 to 98 for pursuit.
    Its harder to use bigger gears training and bunch riding due to changes in speed. I can manage from 84" to 92".
    Most riders use 86" to 92" at Newport, maybe you should try 49 x 15, a jump of one tooth on the back is much bigger than a jump of tooth on the front ring.
    Maye you should try some derny work down there that gets your leg speed up. I have been behind derny doing 37mph on 92" wasily so you should be on pace line with 86" as they will not be doing more than 31mph for sure but as I sadi try 49 x 15 for 91.8", I find that good alround gear, I have used it for sprints, pursuit and bunch races, only recently have I been messing with gears for racing.
  • Dai it's too big for me to roll! We did a 6 lap scratch, found myself on the front at 4, nowt to lose and went for it, was ok for 2 laps, was 1/3 of the tack up, but blew up and just couldn't keep it rolling. If I was stronger then fine. Anyway, am reverting to a 47 x 14 as ive got a front CR kicking about, which is just over 90". It's still a bit high, but then I am unlikely to be racing, and TTing is perhaps more about stomping than spinning.....
  • My bike has a 48 fron CR, and I have just tried using a 14 rear and its way too big. Trouble is I am really struggling with leg speed with the wed and thur sessions using the 15 that I did have, I cannot keep up once the paceline gets quicker, but I can on the higher gear. trouble is the higher gear is too big for pursuiting! Short of changing to a 50x15 then not going to have to revert back to the original gearing.
    Not sure how you work that one out Steve :D
    The majority of people use higher gears for pursuiting because one you get the gear rolling you just keep it going. Most use from 92" upwards. I know the UK team been m,essing round with gears up to 130" !!! But not for us mere mortals, most use 92 to 98 for pursuit.
    Its harder to use bigger gears training and bunch riding due to changes in speed. I can manage from 84" to 92".
    Most riders use 86" to 92" at Newport, maybe you should try 49 x 15, a jump of one tooth on the back is much bigger than a jump of tooth on the front ring.
    Maye you should try some derny work down there that gets your leg speed up. I have been behind derny doing 37mph on 92" wasily so you should be on pace line with 86" as they will not be doing more than 31mph for sure but as I sadi try 49 x 15 for 91.8", I find that good alround gear, I have used it for sprints, pursuit and bunch races, only recently have I been messing with gears for racing.

The speed tps that after about 10 minutes into the warm up....I did the friday vets last night on 47 x 14 which is 90.5" and was perfect, although several pints of guinness on thursday night might have helped...