Tour Of Flanders

errbud
errbud Posts: 17
edited November 2010 in Pro race
Hello all,
I'm going to my first Ronde this year and would like a wee bit of advice. I'm planning to stay in Bruges maybe catch the start and then head to Geraardsbergen to be in the Muur vicinity for the rest of the day. How easy/difficult is it to travel from Bruges to Muur area using public transport on race day? I'm booking accomodation soon and dont know if I should opt for Ghent instead although I would like to catch the start and would prefer to stay in Bruges .. thanks

Comments

• never been but i imagine if you want to actually be able to see anything on th muur you would have to be there well in advance of the riders and most other people which would probably rule out seeing the start?
  • errbud
    I'm not expecting a decent spot on the muur itself I understand there is beer tents with big screens etc nearby which is perfect! then catch the race as it passes before sinking more belgian beers.
  • You can find out about train timetables from Belgian Railways' site http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/ The train service there is ace so you should be ok.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    This comes up every year or so - quick search -
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12598537
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    never been but i imagine if you want to actually be able to see anything on th muur you would have to be there well in advance of the riders and most other people which would probably rule out seeing the start?
    We saw the start,& then went straight to Gerardsbergen by car,this year.
    Got a spot where the tv cameras are situated,near the chapel at the top,no problems.
    Admittedly,we were using our car,but,there was no crush for spaces,until almost race time.
    Not sure what you can do with public transport,but,don't fret about getting to the mur really early.
    so many cols,so little time!
  • errbud
    Thanks for the info boys much appreciated ... nice cheap hostel in Bruges has been duly booked !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Train from Bruges to Brussels and then Brussels to Gerardsbergen. The race route rides straight over the top of the station - basically from the station head straight up to the top of the hill! There's a fair, beer tent and big screen in Gerardsbergen, so little reason to head elsewhere - live TV race coverage is usually from 1pm
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..