Are Team Luxembourg gonna be the team to beat?

Moomaloid
Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
edited November 2010 in Pro race
2 new riders just signed today in Joost Posthuma & Oliver Zaugg, and Fabian on the way.. they look quite formidable on paper...

Confirmed riders on team Luxembourg:
Frank Schleck (from Saxo Bank)
Andy Schleck (Saxo Bank)
Davide Vigano (Sky)
Daniele Bennati (Liquigas-Doimo)
Giacomo Nizzolo (amateur)
Bruno Pires (Barbot)
Jens Voigt (Saxo Bank)
Maxime Monfort (HTC-Columbia)
Wouter Weylandt (Quick Step)
Dominic Klemme (Saxo Bank)
Fabian Wegmann (Milram)
Linus Gerdemann (Milram)
Jakob Fuglsang (Saxo Bank)
Brice Feillu (Vacansoleil)
William Clarke (amateur)
Stefan Denifl (Cervélo TestTeam)
Stuart O'Grady (Saxo Bank)
Anders Lund (Saxo Bank)
Tom Stamsnijder (Rabobank)
Martin Mortensen (Vacansoleil)
Joost Posthuma (Rabobank)
Oliver Zaugg (Liquigas-Doimo)

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    No more so than Saxo Bank in 2010. But that's probably stating the obvious.
  • Looks a pretty awesome squad to me. Is Cancellara defo' going there?
  • Moomaloid
    With the exception of Porte & Breschal, i think the squad looks stronger than Saxo's last year.

Rumour is, according to the comic, that they are saving the biggest forgone conclusion till the very end...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    Absolutely.

Saxo bank were the only team who could prop up a genuine classics and Tour campaign, and still have enough talent left over to win elsewhere, with the possible exception of Liquigas (though their 1-dayers are not a patch on their GTers).

This team looks like a reinforced saxo bank with added firepower.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Absolutely.

Saxo bank were the only team who could prop up a genuine classics and Tour campaign, and still have enough talent left over to win elsewhere, with the possible exception of Liquigas (though their 1-dayers are not a patch on their GTers).

I think Garmin do as well. Sure Vande Velde and Hesjedal are no Schlecks, but then who is? They can get high places at the Tour and it may be Martin's time to do something. Plus they have a top line sprinter, which Lux and Liquigas don't (unless Bennati refinds some form),
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Absolutely.

I think Garmin do as well. Sure Vande Velde and Hesjedal are no Schlecks, but then who is? They can get high places at the Tour and it may be Martin's time to do something. Plus they have a top line sprinter, which Lux and Liquigas don't (unless Bennati refinds some form),

Excluding Contador, who was juiced up - there were only 4 riders who did the big business last year - A. Schleck, Cancelara, Gilbert and Nibali.

And of those, Schleck bagged the big one, and Canc dominated the races he set to in a way never really seen since Museeuw (and are arguably the bigger one day races...!!)
    Saxo bank were really stunning.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Cancellara was stunning,

Saxo. Meh.

I'd like to see Linus do well, but then would be suspicious immediately if he did.

Cycling eh :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited November 2010

Excluding Contador, who was juiced up - there were only 4 riders who did the big business last year - A. Schleck, Cancelara, Gilbert and Nibali.

And Cavendish.
    Basso, Friere and Hushovd weren't too shoddy either.

I wasn't saying Garmin were a better team, just that they could put up a credible challenger in almost any race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Riis is Saxo. Luxy is no Saxo. If Contador is riding he will tear their team to shreds, with the added anger and resentment he will be holding against authorities and the tactical firepower of Riis.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

And Cavendish.
    Basso, Friere and Hushovd weren't too shoddy either.

I wasn't saying Garmin were a better team, just that they could put up a credible challenger in almost any race.

Yeah fair enough.

I'm a bit myopic at the moment.
  • Riis is Saxo. Luxy is no Saxo. If Contador is riding he will tear their team to shreds, with the added anger and resentment he will be holding against authorities and the tactical firepower of Riis.

+1
  • rick_chasey
    Contador won't be racing in any sanctioned event in 2011.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

I really hope so for the sake of cycling
  • rick_chasey
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I really hope so for the sake of cycling

There's a chance they may backdate a 1 year ban to when he tested positive.... If he buys enough farmers/experts to say they doped him by accident...
  • I guess it is ok if it is cocaine or testosterone and they ride the classics...Eh....Leuky and Tornado.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Riis is Saxo. Luxy is no Saxo. If Contador is riding he will tear their team to shreds, with the added anger and resentment he will be holding against authorities and the tactical firepower of Riis.

you'd be a brilliant Lance fan, with your continued belief in Bert despite the evidence.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I guess it is ok if it is cocaine or testosterone and they ride the classics...Eh....Leuky and Tornado.

Er, Leukemans served a ban. :roll:

And, as has been repeated ad nauseum on here, cocaine is not a banned substance out of competition. Both times Boonen was caught he was tested out of competition.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'll say one thing about FF, he sticks to his guns!

Surely it doesn't compare to Boonen's positive as that was out of competition and of a recreational rather than a performance enhancing nature. Not that I am defending TB, but the two cases are different.

Whenever I read about Alberto's "Misteak", I can't help but think about those Cravendale adverts with the cows sneaking up on you in the middle of the night!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Ian - what's your Liquigas prediction for next year?

Will they be the team to beat like they were in 2010 (ish), or will, as the OP suggets, they play 2nd fiddle to the mgiht of Luxembourg..?
  • calvjones
    They'll win the race they really need to, and Lux will be nowhere in that race.

Strava is not Zen.
  • i think lux will smash the races they choose to, htc will win loads(well cav will win loads), sky will do better but won't win anything huge and garmin-cervelo will have a very good year too
  • Moomaloid
    For me, i look at the Lux lineup and think thats what Sky should've looked like, with all their cash. Even if you take the Schleck's out, it still looks like a pretty good squad. I can't see Sky doing much again this season, TDU & TOC maybe, but not much else. I do hope that EBH has a better season and i hope Thomas gets to flex his muscles in a few races as a leader.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    It's not all about having cash to spend though - it's often about relationships and comfort zones - TeamLux have a support network largely in the Saxo/CSC mould, with familiar faces. Sky started from scratch and were untested and an unkown quantity. For me, given they were exposed as being pretty naive last season, I can't see a marquee rider (I'm talking Canc, Gilbert, Nibali etc) wanting to go there. Unless he's money obsessed.

That all said, TeamLux to look very strong and well-balanced - all they need now is the best TT rider and it'll all be cream cheese...
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157

Surely it doesn't compare to Boonen's positive as that was out of competition and of a recreational rather than a performance enhancing nature. Not that I am defending TB, but the two cases are different.

Whenever I read about Alberto's "Misteak", I can't help but think about those Cravendale adverts with the cows sneaking up on you in the middle of the night![/quote

Umm, cocaine has proven To be performance enhancing, and it is not a recreational drug. It is an illicit drug.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Whenever I read about Alberto's "Misteak", I can't help but think about those Cravendale adverts with the cows sneaking up on you in the middle of the night![/quote

Umm, cocaine has proven To be performance enhancing, and it is not a recreational drug. It is an illicit drug.

Yes, it can be performance enhancing but Boonen was tested out of competition and somehow I don't think that snorting coke in the toilet of a Brussels nightclub whilst cuddling an 18 year old model is going to help him win Flanders... :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • calvjones
    i think lux will smash the races they choose to,

I think this kind of assumes Riis had little to do with Saxo's success and I'm not sure that's true. You need more than legs to win Liege and the Tour, and it will be interesting to see whether the DS's are up to it, and who is the guiding light in terms of overarching team strategy - for example Riis would certainly tell Canc to forget Liege if he didn't think he could win it; not sure anyone else will.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Apparently Riis is of the same opinion as FF
    The first task for the new team is waiting just around the corner. On Sunday a 14-day session kicks off at Playitas on Fuerteventura, where superb facilities and a wonderful climate provide ideal conditions for team building before the coming season.

Riis Cycling's staff will participate as well as all the riders, including Alberto Contador.

“I think it is important, that we all remember, that Alberto is not guilty until a judgment is made that indicates something otherwise. This has been the message from the UCI, and I think we should all respect that. We have also met with the UCI, and they have assured us that there are no problems in taking Alberto to our team building camp,” Riis says.