4X Bike Build

alitodd
alitodd Posts: 104
edited December 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi guys

I'm starting the (lengthy) process of building up a new 4X race bike for spring next year (when Redhill opens), as I realised after casing several easily clearable step-downs that a 170mm monster just doesn't have the snap for my (second) favourite riding style.

I'm planning on buying a Dartmoor Phantom frame when it comes out in January, having heard only good things about it. It's lighter than pretty much any other frame I've seen, and did pretty well, placing (i think) 8th at Val Di Sole WC, and being dirt cheap.

So as the frame isn't released yet, I thought I'd start by buying forks. I've got a set of 2010 Marzocchi 4X RC3's winging their way to me as we speak (type?), which promise to be a good addition to an already promising looking plan. That and they were cheap. :lol:

I'm looking to buy the rest of the kit in the near(ish) future, and this is where I'd like a hand - If anyone's got some good kit taken from, or suitable for a 4X bike, I'd like to have a word and think about doing a deal. The only requirement is that any drivetrain stuff is Sram... I'm a "fingers are for braking and holding on, not shifting" person. Trust me, I need all the holding on power I can get.

I'm also open to advice on parts - I'm thinking light, but not extortionate (...If only that were possible in the MTBing world...)

I'll put pics of the build up when it gets underway - that being having two or more parts to put together and take photo's of.

Cheers,

Ali
I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    this is going to be nice.

part advice:
    short cage mech
    9 speed or change to 4,5 or 6 to make it lighter
    light but strong wheels
    cut down teh seatpost as much as possible
    short stem, about 40mm
    bars between 700 and 740mm
    160mm/160mm discs with light brakes whch you don't want to be super powerful
    slx or saint cranls
    e13 guide ring
    superstar or e13 chainguide
    maxxis larsen tyres
  • alitodd

I'd thought of the short cage mech, single ring, superstar stuff etc, but the 160mm brakes and Larsen tyres are useful suggestions - I've been wondering what tyres to run for a while. I'm thinking I can pull this together for £800 if I get some of this stuff second hand or reduced.

SLX cranks... Are they stiff enough? I've got Saints on the Reign, and they're brilliant, but heavyish.

I'm like a child at Christmas! (well... the festive season is nearly upon us) :lol:
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

• jay12
    alitodd wrote:

I'd thought of the short cage mech, single ring, superstar stuff etc, but the 160mm brakes and Larsen tyres are useful suggestions - I've been wondering what tyres to run for a while. I'm thinking I can pull this together for £800 if I get some of this stuff second hand or reduced.

SLX cranks... Are they stiff enough? I've got Saints on the Reign, and they're brilliant, but heavyish.

I'm like a child at Christmas! (well... the festive season is nearly upon us) :lol:
    yes they are. depends how much you weigh though. but you can't go wrong with saints
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most the guys at my local 4X (Leamington) on dedicated bikes are running road cassettes and rear mechs, lighter and more compact, single front with good chain device also are musts it seems (I only use the track for skills practice.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You can shift both thumbs with shimano...

I'd go full saint tbh, it's the only tough mech with a close ratio mode.
  • jay12
    yeah, road cassette and saint mech is a unbeatable combo for strength and weight. ok so a road mech is lighter but the saint mech will last longer and shift better on a mountai bike

i'd probably go for a shimano xt or xtr shifter as people i know haven't been happy with their performance
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    My advice...

SHIMANO SAINT everything!..... Its built for this type of riding!
  • alitodd
    Sorry guys, been away from the computer for a while. Got hit by a car out riding on Saturday, so not quite with it.

If I've got enough to fund full SAINT kit, I will, but when the time comes, if I don't, it'll be less expensive substitutes for the time being.
    Forks have arrived - look fantastic. First set of Zocchi's, so I'm hoping they'll perform to their reputation.

Sorry about the slow nature of the build - it'll be a while.

• jay12
    i'd get a shimano slx or xt shifter, you can shift both ways.
    i would save up for a saint mech tbh, and the rest saint as well. it's just so good that theres no point not considering it