Having a Bike Serviced in London

stephenballantyne
stephenballantyne Posts: 97
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I've only covered about 1,000 miles on my relatively new road bike. Planning to do a London to Paris ride in Sept and would like to get the whole bike serviced (for the first time) before the ride. I'm thinking indexing, spoke tensioning, greasing etc by someone that knows what they are doing and will take a little pride in their work. I live in East London and wondered if anyone could suggest a good, reasonably priced place to get this done.

Basically I'd like to use a local bike shop and avoid the major chains if possible.

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    If you don't mind the commute across the capital, try out Sigma Sport.

They're in Hampton Wick (near enough Kingston). So you could get a train from Stratford to Richmond and then cycle the few miles there.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    These people are a bit closer, Tooley Street near London Bridge:

http://www.onyourbike.com/default.asp

tbh after only 1000 miles everything should still be fine. My bike had its first service from Evans in 2007 and several Dragons, an Etape and numerous sportives later it got me to Paris ok last month without any trouble
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Aggieboy wrote:
    +1 - speak to Trevor or Ewan, good service for years ....
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Avoid Mosquito as you would malaria.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Avoid Mosquito as you would malaria.

Really? I've often been past and thought 'must go in there one day'. Thanks for the heads up. And thanks for the other replies - might drop into Ciclos Uno on my next ride out that way.
  • Hi - following up on old thread, but can anyone recommend a shop in North London for a service on a road bike. My bike is mid range, but I would like it treated with care, and as above, would rather not take it to a chain. Anyone had experiences of

Chamberlaines
    Simpsons
    Two Wheels Good
    Bike and Run

Thanks
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    west green wrote:
    Hi - following up on old thread, but can anyone recommend a shop in North London for a service on a road bike. My bike is mid range, but I would like it treated with care, and as above, would rather not take it to a chain. Anyone had experiences of

Chamberlaines
    Simpsons
    Two Wheels Good
    Bike and Run

Thanks

Only used Bike and Run for sales but they always come across as helpful.

However, for good servicing and discussion on bike things I go to London Bicycle Maintenance Co.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you are able to, pop into town and have Condor Cycles near Holborn service your bike.

They aren't the cheapest but their workshop staff tend to be very professional and honest ie they don't seem to suffer the chain mentality of suggesting new bits if they aren't required.

Peter
  • Thanks for the tips