Late Feb/March 2011training camp?

Jonny_road
Jonny_road Posts: 68
Lined myself up for a tough season next year so want to kick start it with a weeks training somewhere warmish and hilly. Anyone got any recommendations for locations and/or organised camps? Cheap is good but not essential. Also no single person supplement would be a bonus.

Comments

• andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Mallorca is a favourite with thousands of cyclists in spring. The weather in Feb/March can be warm (late teens) & dry. Likewise it can be cold & wet. I've been half a dozen times & have found Feb a good month for the weather. Last year I went in early Feb & it was spot on. 1 wet day, the rest was sunny & dry.

The terrain is ideal too. Stick to the west of the island & it's mountains keep inland & it can be pan flat. Some of the roads are abit battered tho. We use Magaluf as a base & it's ideal. The majority of tour companies centre around Pollensa.

As regards organised camps, I've used Sportactive a few times. They run a good week based in Alcudia. They split into groups based on ability & the guides are all decent blokes. Sean Kelly usually turns up on the camps too.
  • I find it a bit unfair that the moderators have removed our thread giving someone a different option to Majorca for training, but the other thread which also mentions a company name hasn't been removed. Can anyone explain?
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The Algarve area normally has the best weather in Europe at this time of the year, the cheapest food/drink and fantastic climbs around the Monchique Mountains as well as the glorious west coast roads. On top of that you can hook up with the Ciclo Clube de Lagos and ride with up to thirty others. I did a special ride with the club in October with nearly seventy out following the club mini bus with two Police motorbike riders (GNR) keeping what little traffic there was away from the peleton.
    I shall be there again in February for the Tour of the Algarve (Volta ao Algarve) maybe without Contador this coming year! I shall be training taking in the Starts/Finishes of the stages.
    This coming year there will be another Luxury Villa available that will have three double bedrooms close to Villa do Sol plus many others available through our contacts at very low prices.
    Temperatures from Mid-Feb to End March would be highs of typically 18C to 25C cool at night (Atlantic Coast) but soon warms.
    Check out this website. Most pics taken in the winter months!….

http://burgauvilla.com/