Switching between Dura-Ace and Ultegra cassette...

Sean1504
Sean1504 Posts: 101
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a turbo trainer and i'm going to prep my spare wheel for using it with a turbo tyre.

I'm currently running an 11-25 Dura-Ace cassette on my best wheels and i've ordered an 11-25 Ultegra cassette to put on my spare as it originally came with a 12-27 when I got my bike.

Will switching between the Dura-Ace and Ultegra cassettes mean my gearing needs adjusting every time? If so then i'm thinking i'll buy another Ultegra cassette to put on my best wheels for the winter and then put the Dura-Ace back on when the weather improves next year. I would buy another Dura-Ace cassette but I don't want to spend £100+ at the moment. I hear the Ultegra cassette is also more durable which I spose is a good thing during the winter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sean

Comments

• No difficulties switching at all, no gear adjustments required. The only difference between DA and Ultegra cassette is the weight - DA have some titanium cogs (for the 4 largest I think).
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Different wheels may mean you need to make fine adjustments to the indexing when you swap wheels (I'm talking quarter turn of the knob).
    More problems but still living....
  • Sean1504
    Sean1504 Posts: 101
    Thanks for the replies guys.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Could there also be chain slip issues to an old chain that has worn to match the DA cassette not sitting properly on the new Ultegra?