Servicing a saint 815

cavegiant
cavegiant Posts: 1,546
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am a bit embarrassed about this question as the answer should be obvious, but I cannot find the info. I have read all the info I can find on the shimano website and read all the PDFs

How do you service a shimano 815 hub, how often do you have to do it, and what signs are there it needs to be done?

a second question,
Is it worth getting the ceramic balls for the hub? I am sceptical on a rolling resistance reduction, but more interested in the reduced wear on the races. Anyone commnet?

Thanks,

Ignorant cave giant.

p.s. I have seen a few videos for the XT, but this seems different due to the 12mm axle.
Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    Thanks,

I have seen those, but although they give a good understanding of the hub, how and what to do are still vague.

For bearing grease, I tend to use either slick honey or finish line ceramic, which would be best or should i use something different?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • nicklouse
    you just undo the end with the lock nuts on. it is just one big bolt.

Oh I forgot dont bother with the ceramic.

and i would not use slick honey on any ball bearings. and I would not use a grease formulated for ceramic bearing on stainless bearings.

any6 suitable bearing grease. Parks or motorex or finish line.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cavegiant
    hmm, that does sound easy, no wonder no manuals.

Why no on the ceramic, do the bearings not wear?
    I normally get a year or two out of cartridge bearings and assume that these wear faster.
    If I can increase the life of the hub for £20, seemed a good idea.

What am I overlooking?

regarding the grease, the ceramic grease is not designed for ceramic bearings, it has ceramic particles in for lube. I have checked on finishline website, they say it is their best bearing grease, so going to use that. Thanks for advice on avoiding slick honey, I probably would have used that if you had not said.

Do you have any idea how the freehub works, there are implications that the saint is separate, but unsure how. It does engage exceptionally well.
  • nicklouse
    if the races are not designed for use with a ceramic ball guess what happens. they wear out fast.

re the grease then that is fine.

saint body not looked at one yet.
  • cavegiant
    weird, the website says the races should wear slower, then again I have this suspicion that the person selling the product might be biased =-)

Thanks for the help.

P