chainset teeth options

JohnLarke
JohnLarke Posts: 51
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all, looking to upgrade slightly, nothing major but so I ask for the right stuff at chrimbo I have a few questions. I basically want to convert my bike from the shimano 8 sp stuff to some middle of the road Deore 9 sp. I know I need a front chain set, new shifters and a new cassette but not sure on the rear deraileur? i currently have a Deore that is working on my 8 sp but will this also work with 9 sp as it would save me a few pence and the Deore would also match everything up. what is also confusing me is the different teeth options on the cassette and front chain rings, does it matter what options you go for? Hope someone can help, thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can keep the crankset and mechs as is.

RH shifter, chain and cassette is the minimum needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mech will be fine - they are not speed specific, just cage lengths differ - presume yours is long cage anyway.

Not sure what you mean by options - it matters but if you run 3 rings up front, standard would be 22,32,44. Rear generally 11-32 or 11-34, latter will give you slightly lower granny gear.

Depends what options you are considering.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yep mine is long cage, 3 rings up front with 22.32.44 is what i was going to go with along with cassette of 11-32, looking at below this would appear to be ok. Glad i can keep rear derailleur as it is in mint condition. gonna change both shifters as mine are only available in 8sp, if i only replace rh one they wont match so gonna swap out both. would I also be able to get away with keeping the front deraileur? it is a shimano alivio 8sp, not the best i know but again barely used and in mint conditon, could this be used with 9sp? The only reason I want to change the cranks is I want the hollowtech BB option, i don't like the old square taper type I am currently running. thanks for your help
  • cooldad
    Thought he meant need as in old and worn.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Thought he meant need as in old and worn.
    ah no sorry, they are worn but not quite at the end of their life, i struggle to afford things i want at the moment so thought christmas would be a good time to upgrade at no cost to me, thanks
  • sorry to be a pain but would my 8sp front derailleur be compatible with 9sp then?

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.

as per the first reply.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • perfect thanks, asked about the rear originally, forgot about the front.
  • cooldad
    IMHO 9 speed is not really any better than 8 speed on a day to day level. You get a marginally smaller gap between ratios, but the same range as you are intending.
    Indexing is slightly easier with 8 speed, parts such as chains and cassettes are much cheaper.
    Why not just replace the chainset and ask for something else as well - blow and hookers?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    I Don't think you'll get any great benefit from this mod.