Freehub identification

bramstoker
bramstoker Posts: 250
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone help ID the freehub in photo 4 here please http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ehub-23757
A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.

Comments

• konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Shimano xt
    Giant Reign X1
  • So is it a shimano fitting on the back? I want to get a new one from crc but they dont show the fitting from the back.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is actually of a Tiagra hub.

but what has it got to do with your hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I want to but a 9 speed freehub, mine is the same as the ome in the photo and im trying to find out what its compatable with, as i believe there are several types .
  • nicklouse
    what is your hub?

All shimano Free hubs look the same (well most do).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I have no idea what the hub is all i know is the back, where it fits to the wheel, looks like the one in that photo. Is that type of fitting shimano standard?
  • nicklouse
    then i dont think it is a shimano hub and a shimano body will not fit. (you may be lucky but i dont think you will be)

there are a lot of bodies that look like shimano that are not and are not interchangeable.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    As Nick sez :wink:

Shimano hubs - well I have never seen a Shimano hub that didn't have that fact plastered over it so if yours does not it's a generic, OEM.

Need to know that freehubs have two compatibilty issues, one is the interface with the hub and the other with the cassette so even if you have a Shimano cassette this does not mean that a standard Shimano freehub body will fit your non-Shimano (if that is the case) hub.

Thing is apart from the hassle (expense) of lacing the wheel, you are probably better off with a new hub, the bearing races don't last forever and a freehub costs what, more than half the cost of a new hub?
    Giant Reign X1
  • As already mentioned free hub bodies look quite similar. Have you got a bike shop/workshop near you that deals in second hand bikes, they may keep a bits they've stripped from wheels/bikes and have the one you want...
    Knowing what bike you've got and whether they are the original wheels may help :D
  • Well they are mavic cxp 30s with exege hubs, the freehub is a 7 speed and i was trying to get a new freehub to take 9, with all the different types of hub i was just wondering if that type was a standard shimano fitting.
  • nicklouse
    bramstoker wrote:
    Well they are mavic cxp 30s with exege hubs, the freehub is a 7 speed and i was trying to get a new freehub to take 9, with all the different types of hub i was just wondering if that type was a standard shimano fitting.

so it is a shimano hub then, dont forget to re-dish your rim and even up the axle.

any (99%) of shimano freebodies will fit other shimano hubs.