TT Training....For a novice

tbutterworth
tbutterworth Posts: 21
Ok so i was looking for a goal for training, i've entered the sunrise 75mile TT in Feb as an incentive to train and i have the plan to do TT this year along side triathlons, but never having done a TT before im not really sure how to train or prepare for them?

I'm trying to keep up 100miles a week over 2 rides and in the process of getting some rollers, time is a bit of an issue though (final year at uni) especially for the longer rides.

So what type of training is best? keeping high cadence is about the only thing i know, and interval training i guess but how far and long etc im not sure....

I'm a bit daunted about a good speed im expected to keep up on the race day..... the current training rides are 17-18mph which is pretty easy, but to get a decent time come races (for a novice) looking at increasing that to 22-23mph? feasible? and how?

Good idea to do some shorter TT to get experience and use them as training? Any suggestions of open TT's over the next couple months?

Tom

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    You've never ridden a TT before and you're first event in a few months is a 75 mile one!? :shock: :shock:

Glutton for punishment or what!? Most experienced TT riders, who have been doing them for years wouldn't even undertake that task. For most, a 25 mile TT is the limit of what they will tackle. (I say most - but there are also lots of great TTers here who have done longer distances - just not often).

First question - are you doing this on a TT bike or road bike?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Is this the Beacon RCC Sunrise Audax, if so this isn't a TT.

As regards to training, a mixture of Endurance, Tempo and Threshold sessions will increase your fitness for whatever cycle sport you choose to take part in.

I approach 100 mile TT's as 4 x 25 mile TT's, just a bit slower.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    SBezza wrote:
    Is this the Beacon RCC Sunrise Audax?
    If so, the only training you need to do is to cultivate some interesting facial hair and an in-depth knowledge of mudguards through the ages. Sorted.
  • Yeah its the sunrise audax, i just needed a big aim for next year and i like the idea of doing distance. Have a road bike, i know all those with TT bikes (and experience) will coast past me but its a personal challenge. I have Tri bars and i may get some better wheels too.
  • SBezza
    I doubt you will see anyone with a TT bike on a Feb Audax, they will all be on their winter bikes no doubt.

An Audax is NOT a TT, and the max average I think is 18 mph (I might be wrong on the speed), but it is a long distance ride rather than a race. Just enjoy the scenery.

Enter Ruth's Little Mountain TT for a beast of a challenge :twisted:
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Yeah its the sunrise audax, i just needed a big aim for next year and i like the idea of doing distance. Have a road bike, i know all those with TT bikes (and experience) will coast past me but its a personal challenge. I have Tri bars and i may get some better wheels too.

Incorrect. Most audaxes at the very least discourage TT bikes, if not ban them altogether. Riding on tri bars is considered poor practice in a group as it reduces your control, makes you unable to brake quickly and generally increases your chances of taking yourself and others down. It's also pretty pointless, as aerodynamics don't matter all that much when you're drafting in a group.

So long as your equipment is reliable, don't worry about it and just ride!
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Oh i missed the point then, i didnt realize it would be as a group, and no TT bikes, well thats alright then really, i can use that as training and That means i now need to find an event for next year then.....
  • SBezza
    SBezza wrote:
    Enter Ruth's Little Mountain TT for a beast of a challenge :twisted:
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Ever have those times when you feel you're struggling to communicate with someone?! :lol:

Ruth
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Crap, does that mean I need to leave the TT bike at home for this weekends Norfolk Nip Audax? :cry:

:wink:
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Time issues in your final year at uni? There's definitely time there to get in a good amount of training. Just may come at the cost of some of your social life...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk