chamois shapes and saddles

wthrelfall
wthrelfall Posts: 166
I've tried many pairs of bibs in the last couple of years but I can't find one with a good shaped pad - every pair i've worn has about 10cm of useless foam padding keeping my buttocks warm instead of being under the bits of me that actually make contact with the saddle. I've also been through lots of saddles searching for 'the one' (big ones, small ones, cut outs, long ones, hard ones, soft ones etc). My current saddle is a 130mm Toupe, and whilst it's pretty comfy for me, I tend to get chaffing outside the padded zone of the chamois, just to the outside/in front of the sitbones. It seems to me that even the best fitting bibs (and extremely expensive ones - Castelli with the X2 pad) give me the same problem. Just wondering if anyone else has this experience?? (if it helps, I'm 173cm 70kg - basically a medium in everything)

Comments

• do you use chamois cream? i think you would be lucky to find a combo that works 100% you skin will toughen up the more you ride, maybe changing seats has changed where you get sores and so has never been given enough time to harden up with use
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The problems you have are normally reserved for fatter blokes that have thighs that rub together when they walk, etc. 8)

For you - I would think a narrow saddle would better (just a guess). Have you tried adjusting the saddle (fore-aft, up-down) to see if it's the position or set up?

How long/how often do you ride? ANd how long have you been riding in general?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Pokerface wrote:
    The problems you have are normally reserved for fatter blokes that have thighs that rub together when they walk, etc. 8)

For you - I would think a narrow saddle would better (just a guess). Have you tried adjusting the saddle (fore-aft, up-down) to see if it's the position or set up?

How long/how often do you ride? ANd how long have you been riding in general?

Aha, you have also seen the Lanacane anti chafing advert!
    If you are finding the current saddle ok have you done a compare and contrast with other makes of shorts?
    Does not Assos have more coverage towards the front?
  • Yes, i use cream. agreed that changing seats doesn't help but generally the same problem always arises. I used the same saddle all last season..
    I already use a narrow saddle - 130mm which seems about perfect width. I ride 5 days a week, 30+ miles depending on the time of year or indoor/outdoor. did 7000 miles last year with a few centuries, sportives and L'Etape.
    as i said, used lots of saddles and shorts over the years, and yes i've tried all different positions.
    Does nobody else notice that chamois pads seem to bee half way up your back instead of under contact points?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    wthrelfall wrote:
    (if it helps, I'm 173cm 70kg - basically a medium in everything)

I am taller than you and slightly heavier and I use small for most of my gear, could it be they are too big and are moving around too much.

Other than that, I would suggest as mentioned above chamois cream, and getting you sit bones measured, 130mm might feel OK, but you could be nearer a 143mm saddle, and that may make some difference. I use a 143 mm saddle.
  • over the course of this year, i have tried lots of saddles and shorts!

bought some assos shorts a month ago, and there fab, uno millie ones i believe, they are worth the money,

i would buy another pair!

i got mine of ribble cycles
    I do science, sometimes.
  • At your height and weight are you SURE you're a medium? As someone else said.... if the pad is halfway up your back, sounds too big to me.