hitting jump

unfitrider
unfitrider Posts: 3
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
evening all!! not long been riding again since my teenage years and i must admit i'v been bitten by the bug. all i want to do is ride a trail but i do have a question whats the deal with jumps i can kind of pop over them but how do i hit and get some bigger air????? any pointers welcome.

currently riding a diamondback hardtail :!:

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    You need to pump the bike into the jump, by pushing down on the forks, then when you hit the lip, pull up on the bars a bit.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • you need to do what is called pumping into the face of the jump. Push the front wheel into the face of the jump. Pushing into it means so you go the opposite way and go up.

PS - I'm rubbish at explaining it but know what I'm on about, so just concentrate on pumping into the face of the jump and someone better than me can explain the reasons for it.
  • Jumps can be taken in a few different ways but it sounds like you want to get more air.

As you approach the jump push down on the bars as the front wheel gets close to the lip, as the front wheel nears the top of the lip 'pull up' on the bars (up and back really) and keep pushing the rear wheel into the jump with your feet.

This should be done real smooth as one motion. You should feel your forks compress as you push down.

As you take off, keep your head up, weight slightly back and let the bike come up into your body.
    Then as you come into land, extend your arms and legs for touch down and use them to absorb the landing.

Stay loose and ease your way in. Try at a medium speed at first to nail the technique.

Harry.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Speed is your friend. And only speed will cure it, lots of it. Over-exagerating into jumps leads either to spectacular fluke or royal crash. Amen.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I look out and forwards down the trail too - I think their is a certain amount of 'instinct' when it comes to getting the right angle to land the bike, it's usually pretty similar to the last bit of earth you left...
    If I look down at the jump, I crash spectacularly. if I look out along the trail I'll be motoring along I can land and ride out smoothly.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    push to unweight the front end just like a drop!

simples