What to wear

xloly
xloly Posts: 140
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Normally I'm a summer cyclist but I've decided I want to get out on my bike over the next few months. What is the recommended clothing, I was looking on Wiggle and the choice is flipping endless, what are Leg and Arm warmers for (apart from the obvioius) - do you not just need a jersey? Do I need base Layers why buy a windproof top when I'll probably need a waterproof anyway?

In addition, how quickly will I trash my bike by riding it in the wet?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Windprooof top of some kind for when its cold, but not raining. If you wear a waterproof jacket you'll most likely sweat way too much (no matter how breathable the manufacturer claims their product to be).

Baselayer to keep you warm and more comfortable.

If you want to cycle and be comfortable in all weathers you'll need a selection of clothing.
    More problems but still living....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    i'm a castelli tart myself, wiggle's prices are not the best though, so use google shopping to price check

it's worth looking at the prendas website, they have some good warmers at decent prices, plus some great retro jerseys

even in the rain i often prefer a windprof shell as it's more beathable, full waterproof usually results in the boil in the bag effect and you end up warm but as wet/wetter as if you'd been rained on

wear it over short or long sleeve jersey, with or wthout base layer depending on temperature

castelli leggero jacket is really light windproof, good fit so minimal flapping, choose size based on chest

shoe covers can be good on cold/nasty days, i got some castelli nano ones, as long as shoes don't have bulky fastenings (they are on the tight side) they are the best i've found so far, light, waterproof (as long as tights/warmers go over the top of the ankle)

keep the bike well maintained and the water won't hurt it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    A windproof jacket is one of the most important bits of kit for winter riding.

You can often be warm through your cycling effort but the windchill can make the sweat on your front feel like ice.

A Merino wool base layer is good, as unlike man-made synthetic materials, it stays warm when wet.

Arm + leg warmers are designed to be worn with a short sleeve jersey + shorts to give the effect of a long sleeve jersey and longs. Depending on how much you feel the cold, it may already be too cold for these to be much use this winter. I use A + L warmers a lot in Spring / Autumn, but now I need something more substantial.

Good gloves and waterproof (neoprene) overshoes will also be vital. It's no good having good core warmth and freezing extremities. This can easily ruin a ride. Try and look for overshoes made with 3mm thickness neoprene, as these are both warm and waterproof.
  • xloly
    xloly Posts: 140
    Excellent, I'll go shoppuing now and get back out on the bike!

Many thanks!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Dont forget mudguards. You can keep wet road muck off your jacket so wear a less waterproof /more breathable one. They also protect your bike.
    Winter base layers dont need to be cycle-specific. You cant use rear pockets under a shell layer so go for a basic T shirt style base. Superfine merino wool T shirts are very good.
    A neck tube is essential and easy to carry. A sleeveless gillet style windproof or insulation layer is waffly versatile.
    Summer shoes can be too tight for winter. You need thicker socks but also more volume in the shoes. Highly vented shoes (and helmets) have obvious drawbacks in the cold.
  • my 2p

I have a showerproof jacket from spega bought from cycleclothing.co.uk. It has removable sleeves to make it into a Gillet. I find it will keep your core fairly dryish but doesnt have that boil in the bag effect which is very useful :lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ^
    WTS

But also some form of eyewear, endura spectrums if on a budget. Keeps rain and debris out of the eyes
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    This is what I wore the past couple of days in freezing fog, starting at the bottom working up:

Socks: Seal Skins
    Overshoes: Endura neoprene
    Leggings: I use my rowing ones over my shorts, see below
    Shorts/bibs: whatever suits you
    Base layer: Under Armour cold gear, with a high neck
    Jersey: anything really
    Softshell: vital. Again I got mine from a rowing company called Crewroom, but you can't go wrong so long as it's windproof and a bit water resistant. I like mine because it's fitted and has thumb hooks on the sleeve liner.
    Ears: I use a buff, as it keeps my neck and ears warm
    Gloves: Altura night vision. Not the warmest when you start moving, but after 2-3 miles you warm up

If anything I was over-dressed, ended up nice and warm!
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ^
    WTS

But also some form of eyewear, endura spectrums if on a budget. Keeps rain and debris out of the eyes

and insects :D

Judging by its size, I swear the thing that flew into my eye the other day had migrated from the rain forrest or similar :cry:
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME arm and leg warmers are fine for spring, summer and autumn but not for the depths of winter - lycra shorts have limited thermal properties and once damp/wet will keep you chilled. If you're planning on 3 hour plus rides in winter, then suggest you'll need:
    Overshoes and woolly socks
    Roubaix bib tights
    Thermal base layer
    Long sleeve jersey
    Windproof jacket - or even better a softshell
    Underhelmet cap
    Gloves
    You may need to layer-up or down depending on conditions
    Most only wear a rainshell when its heavy rain - you build-up too much sweat internally which just causes you to get chilled quicker
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Misunderstood OP thought you'd been invited to the wedding - puke,puke ad infinitum.
  • +1 to pretty much what eveyones already said.

You could also look at your local club also. It will give you a first hand look at what other riders in your area are wearing, plus most clubs do a full range of their own branded clothing at pretty goods rates as long as you dont mind some of the more "outlandish" designs that some clubs go for.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ^
    WTS

and insects :D

Judging by its size, I swear the thing that flew into my eye the other day had migrated from the rain forrest or similar :cry:

There were afew about today, must be the mild damp weather :shock:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I just tend to wear a couple of long sleeved cycling tops and shorts with tights. If it gets very cold then I add a jacket. The bike does get a bit trashed in the wet, that's why so many people have winter bikes. When it snows and they spray the roads with salt it's particularly damaging. If you want to ride your bike after the salt is down then it's an idea to smear a layer of motoring grease over components and into joins etc to repel salty spray, also mudguards can help stop the spray getting into things...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I don't mind riding in very cold conditions but I tend to draw the line at cold + wet days. I get through with the following:

DHB Pace roubaix bib tights
    Baselayer - I have loads of different ones - for really cold weather the Craft one with windproofing is superb
    DHB Windslammer jersey (with windproof front)
    Craft gloves - don't remeber the model but super warm
    Merino liner sock, plus Woolie boolie sock
    Overshoes when it is sub 5 degrees

Optionals are a skull cap or ear warmer / head band thing for early morning rides. Once I had managed to keep my fingers and toes warm I started to really enjoy winter riding - before that I hated it.
  • xloly wrote:
    What is the recommended clothing, I was looking on Wiggle and the choice is flipping endless, what are Leg and Arm warmers for (apart from the obvioius) - do you not just need a jersey? Do I need base Layers why buy a windproof top when I'll probably need a waterproof anyway?

You might be interested in this review of DHB clothing sold by Wiggle which may answer some of your questions. :wink:

http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/
  • I always wear Sub Zero thermal underwear when cycling. I've had mine for a number of years now but i have put them down on my Christmas list. There is a lot of information on www.subzerostore.co.uk if you want to find out more about their products.