getting back into it

vala
vala Posts: 197
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
hello all,

well after many years of not riding trials I have decided to get back on a bike mainly for fitness reasons this time round (starting to get a bit bored of running).
looking at building a bike however could do with some advice as to what size frame to go for.

im 5ft 6-7ish and was thinking a 16" frame. would this be correct or should i be thinking bigger/smaller?

Comments

• Sounds about right to me - but inside leg is a better guide.
  • best bet is to get out and try some for size... one man's 16" is another mans 18".

Plus there are so many variations in how manufacturers measure their frame sizes, head angle differences, BB height and seat tube angle that can affect how a bike feels once you're on it...
  • vala
    cheers for the replies.

Chunkers1980 - inside leg is 32-33"

The Northern Monkey - I was thinking of heading to a store but the bike I want to get hold of (or even the brand) are no longer stocked by anywhere local so was thinking it could be pointless due to the different variations as you have mentioned.
  • depends if you know what you like...

I've been building my own spec'd bikes frame up for a while now and am pretty sure about what I want/like. I'd owned a fair few bikes before starting my own build too.

Only problem is that you only know if it fits properly when its all built!
  • vala
    depends if you know what you like...

I've been building my own spec'd bikes frame up for a while now and am pretty sure about what I want/like. I'd owned a fair few bikes before starting my own build too.

Only problem is that you only know if it fits properly when its all built!

I do like bikes that are a bit smaller, to me they feel that bit more flickable. probably due to the amount of trial riding I used to do (that was on a Pashley 26mhz which is a 14" frame).
    I have seen a frame im interested in however its a 17.5" model.

I think regardless of the brand I will head out and sit on a few bikes and see whats what. if anything at least i'll get a rough idea of the difference in sizes.

thanks for the input :)