problem with bike shops

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

Recently I took 2 bikes into 2 bike shops for repairs. In both cases, I was told a price, and also that I'd get a call if that price would increase if extra parts were needed.

in BOTH cases, I didn't get a call, and the final price was way above the initial price:

Case A - quoted £22.50, came in at £51
Case B - quoted £80, came in at £213 :shock:

(It should be noted that the repairs done in case B were utterly outstanding, the bike has never felt so good.)

So: what do I do next time? I'm a lousy repairman, and bike shop B in particular always does a good job. Do I make them write on the worksheet that I won't pay unless I get a phone call to authorise the extra spend?

Your thoughts will be most welcome.

Cheers,
Andy

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Absolutely get them to write that on their worksheet! However clever their mechanic is, they sound like pirates.

I had a very unpleasant experience with a high-toned (supposedly) shop in Islington where not only did they rip me off BADLY, but their mechanic was such a cack-handed incompetent that after a 'deluxe' service my tourer was so screwed up that i actually had to postpone my proposed trip so I could repair the damage myself.

I am a qualified bike mechanic, although I do not work in the field; I took my bike in to get a new headset installed since i do not have my own headset press, and since I was flat-out at work, had them do the service to save time, or so I thought.

The brakes were so badly maladjusted as to be unusable, the handlebars were loose and crooked, and there were nasty grinding sounds from the BB/crank area that certainly weren't there when I took the bike in. They broke my rear taillight, and left the bike utterly grubby - despite a thorough cleaning being part of the service. THey changed the nearly new cables and bar tape I had on there, despite my telling them not to. Utter pirates.

If I were you I'd learn to do the basics yourself - it's not hard, there are plenty of books, courses, and informative websites. I was particularly upset with myself when I had this awful experience because I do know this stuff and was just trying to save time. Some savings.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd kick up a bit of a fuss. Speak to the manager and explain that you're really happy with the work but rather annoyed at not being informed of the price increases.

You're clearly happy with the job, except (rightly so) with the price hike. Get it in writing next time and they seem to be worth the extra in your opinion.
  • get to know your stuff so you know if they are genuine or not & just ripping you off

dont be scared to challenge them if you feel like they are,

i would have refused to pay the extra although i work on the service desk at a truck garage & thats what our customer do

a lot will just say fit old parts back knowing that you cant a lot of the time
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    you paid

too late to grumble.

BMW did that to me and I said I'd not pay - so they could put all the stuff back. Needless to say they didn't want to loose even more money redoing things so let me off.

Breach of contract, although it depends on how you want to keep the relationship.

Not really something you can discuss. Get a written estimate next time, and they wont try it on again.
  • AndyRubio
    Indeed I paid and was happy with the work. Indeed had they rung I'd've said to go ahead.

I think the thing is to make sure they have it in writing that they aren't to proceed like this again, or else I won't pay, end of.

Thanks gang,
    Andy
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    If its extra work that has caused this increase then the law is on your side. Equity doesn't benefit the volunteer so if they do a service for £50 then decided to do some extra work on top without your permission you don't have to pay (well they will probably make you pay and you would go to small claims court)

not sure what the situation is if it is the original work you agreed but costs more....i.e. more labour was needed. Hopefully just having a word with them would convince them that you are a valued customer and they don't want to lose your custom!
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    An LBS should, I think, always contact you if more work comes up that was unforesen but neccessary. They could also have asked for a max that you would be willing to spend beyond the estimated cost. Additional work not included in the estimate should always be discussed by phone or noted and advised.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Afraid I hear this all to often.

It does seem in the LBS industry that quoting a price and charging another when collecting the bike is common.

Always ask for a written quote and for any further work to be confirmed. It is a shame this has to be done.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I'll only ever go around 10% higher than a quote if things crop up.Any mor ethan that and I contact the customer to get their go ahead or not.
    I hear these stories all to often in my workshop.
    I even hada stuck bottom bracket last week that refused to come out.I ended up cutting it out and still only charged the standard price as that was what I had agreed.
  • I don't think you can quote in advance, unless the job is something really simple, like fitting a new tube...but even then, once the customer has left the wheel, the mechanic removes the tyre and old tube, it may come to light that the rim tape is knackered, or the rim itself is damaged, adding to the cost.

However, in scenarios like this, the shop really should call the customer to inform of additional work required to complete the job, with the additional costs involved so the customer can say yes or no.

Mechanics do not have x-ray vision, some jobs turn into nightmares once you start opening things up - but, as mentioned before, customers should be called and be informed of any additional work required to avoid them being presented with a higher than expected bill.....but what if the mechanic has spent half an hour stripping bike, called customer and customer says no to additional work, does shop still charge for work already done, even if this means bike is left in unrideable condition? Would you work for free?

....here's another dilema that bike shops get week in, week out....you give an estimate for repair to customer, halfway through job, mechanic encounters problems which will require parts/extra labour to complete the job......mechanic calls number provided by customer to inform of issue and obtain permission to carry out additional work....call goes straight to answerphone or goes unanswered......does the mechanic hang bike up and wait for call from customer, risking chance customer turns up at end of day expecting bike to be ready?.......or go ahead and complete all the work required to get the bike ready in time for customer, risking complaint due to extra work completed?

...either way, the bike shop loses out because they get it in the neck due to bike not being ready, or get it in the neck for job being more expensive than the quote/estimate, or have a job carried on to the next day, delaying other customers work, all because some numpty didn't provide a contact number where the mechanic could actually speak to the customer, not an answer machine!

Note to bike shops...NEVER quote, only estimate, and call if things are going to get more expensive than estimate.

Note to customers.....ALWAYS provide a number that a shop can actually speak to you on....or check your messages regularly and call shop back asap.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Generally we try to forsee any problems, but as above there is often horrid surprises waiting for you.

Rims internally cracked are a pain, puncture repair turns into a rear wheel rebuild!

But that's very rare, you do as much of the work as possible if you cannot contact the customer and explain the situation when they return. On jobs where problems are likely to occur, generally with bikes that are hanging, we tend to mention this and say that if we need to do x then it'll cost y is that okay or at what point in this job is it no longer cost effective for you.
  • AndyRubio
    theblender wrote:
    ....here's another dilema that bike shops get week in, week out....you give an estimate for repair to customer, halfway through job, mechanic encounters problems which will require parts/extra labour to complete the job......mechanic calls number provided by customer to inform of issue and obtain permission to carry out additional work....call goes straight to answerphone or goes unanswered......does the mechanic hang bike up and wait for call from customer, risking chance customer turns up at end of day expecting bike to be ready?
    Yes. And when the customer complains, the mechanic points out that s/he rang the number given. The customer has clear responsibilties too.

How long would a garage that does chargeable work without getting the customer to agree it up front last?
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    So: what do I do next time? I'm a lousy repairman,

Make sure there is no next time!Your lack of fettling skills seem worthy of the bills produced. Read up on Sheldon Browns website and other resources and keep on top of things.
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    Indeed I paid and was happy with the work. Indeed had they rung I'd've said to go ahead.

I think the thing is to make sure they have it in writing that they aren't to proceed like this again, or else I won't pay, end of.

Thanks gang,
    Andy

I know what you mean I have 2 LBS near me and both are good, just one costs a bit more and as a smaller shop has less in terms of brands and choice. However I totally trust them and they always do a good job and are simply trading on the good level of service you get.

Sounds like you like your shop B - so be honest with them, try not to have a go at them and speak to them and explain honestly how you felt they should thank your feedback. Afterall you are telling them you would rather use them than shop A as they did a really good job. Plus they should if they are that good learn that you are the type of person who likes to be kept informed and then say yes whereas other shoppers may just say "fix that whatever the cost".
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    AndyRubio wrote:

Thanks gang,
    Andy

The downside of this approach is that if the bike shop have to ring you each time they find a new problem, it might well delay things for you getting bike back as they stop woork, on that bike and try to contact you and in meantime start a new job on onother bikem, so your bike goes down the pecking order so to speak.

IMHO It is a balancing act between allowing the scope for doing necessary work and getting your approval first
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Which bike shop was it? I've only had good experiences with the ones I've used in Manchester (Harry Halls, Wills Wheels, Bike Boutique, A6 Warehouse)

Name and shame please!