Does this look right?

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited November 2010 in Workshop
I was about to take off my non-drive side crank but IIRC for whatever reason I made a couple of turns and then went onto removing the drive-side crank... or something like that.

Anyway - my pulling tool got screwed and I took the bike to the LBS and they sorted it - the "hat" of the pulling tool has fused into the crank... they knocked it out and all was fine - they put the drive side on.

However, today I noticed that my non-drive side looks a few mms out vs the drive side crank - it did not seem to get tightened [striktly speaking it was not part of the job, but it looks a bit odd - for me at least]. I had to take it off with and put it back on - thinking it got a little skewed after about 50-60kms of being a couple of turns out and therefore not going in. I pulled it off twice adn same result each time - it seems a few mms out. I don't remember if it was like that before or not. Here is a couple of pics to show you what I mean:
img0073qi.jpg
img0072ba.jpg

The non-drive crank is screwed in as tight as it will go without having to take out 1m pipes for leverage...

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,586
    measure from the inner face of each crank to the centre line of the bike

if they are both the same distance from it, no problem

if they are different distances, something is not right
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Valy
    Measuring like that would be problematic as the drive-side crank is not the same as the non-drive side.

I think that the non-drive crank is a bit off-centre when screwed on, so knowing me I will probably just end up getting a new chainset in a while.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    That's fine.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bottom bracket on my Giant Bowery is exactly the same. If there's no play in either crank then I wouldn't worry about it.
    More problems but still living....
  • Valy
    Oh yay. Now I am at peace.

.... still probably going ot end up getting a new chainset. -_-