My New Touring Bike

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited November 2010 in Tour & expedition
Sorry - posted this in "Special Interests" but couldn't resist putting it here as well :) For build story and more pics, click the link in my sig.

5178335775_3b42749266_z.jpg
5178977710_25460e8180_z.jpg
5178977728_6f2edc34f9_z.jpg

Frame/forks: Orbit Gold Medal touring frame, mid 1980s, Reynolds 531C tubing. Blasted and sprayed in Peppermint Green with white bands by Bob Jackson of Leeds
Wheels: Harry Rowland hand built 36-spoke with Ambrosio hubs, DB spokes and Exal LX17 rims
Bottom Bracket: Stronglight JP400
Headset: Stronglight 1in threaded
Chainset: Stronglight triple 48/38/28
Chain: KMC
Cassette: Campag Centaur 12-29
Rear mech: Campagnolo Comp long cage
Front mech: Shimano 105 triple band-on
Brakes: Tektro 57mm drop
Tyres: Continental Gatorskin 28mm
Stem: Nitto 1in quill
Bars: Nitto Noodle
Pedals: Time ATAC
Seatpost: Kalloy alu
Saddle: Brooks B17
Rack: Tubus Cosmo
Mudguards: Gilles Berthoud
Pump: vintage Bluemels
Lights: 2x Electron Nano 9

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    That looks a beautiful bike, I'm very jealous!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Those mudguards are a wonderful fit, wish mine looked like that!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Are those wheels 700c? I also have an Orbit Gold Medal of that vintage. It's a bit like Triggers broom now though it's still a cracker:

DSCF1673.jpg
  • boblo wrote:
    Are those wheels 700c? I also have an Orbit Gold Medal of that vintage. It's a bit like Triggers broom now though it's still a cracker:

DSCF1673.jpg

Aye, 700c. Yours is very nice indeed. Loving that chainset. Do you know the year and/or serial number of your bike? I'm trying to date mine but there isn't much info online about Orbit. Their own website is hopeless and they don't answer emails.
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Those mudguards are a wonderful fit, wish mine looked like that!

Thanks. Actually, the mudguards are a problem. They keep rubbing because I haven't got them set up quite right yet. Very tight fit...
  • boblo
    edited November 2010
    Mines a 1985 model, no 85****. I've had it since new, refinished once. The refurb cost twice the original purchase price :-)

Orbit have been through a few reincarnations so you're probably trying to contact people who had nothing to do with your bike...
  • Lol - yes - for the price of the frame refurb I could have (almost) bought a new 653 frame :D

Do you happen to know your rear dropout spacing? Mine was 120 until I had it widened. I guess this was the right spacing for 5 speed. Still trying to date my bike, you see. I'm guessing by the graphics yours is a later model than mine...
  • boblo
    The graphics are aftermarket used by Mercian when they did the refurb. The originals were gold cursive style. The original colour was a lovely pink/red front to white rear fade. I fancied a change hence the turquoise/pearl...

The original spacing was also 120 or 126 (whatever 5 speed was) and is now 130 after being 'cold set' (read being tw@tted with a hammer and pulled about by a gibbon in a bike shop :-) ) to take 9 speed. For its 25th birthday, I treated it to new wheels and Tiagra brifters.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I like the bike very much - a lovely piece of work. I'm curious about the stem, since i am building up a similar sort of classic tourer myself, and am going to be using a Nitto one. Is yours the Pearl? Or their taller 195mm model (I forget the name)

The pump is great. Where did you find that?
  • boblo wrote:
    The graphics are aftermarket used by Mercian when they did the refurb. The originals were gold cursive style. The original colour was a lovely pink/red front to white rear fade. I fancied a change hence the turquoise/pearl...

The original spacing was also 120 or 126 (whatever 5 speed was) and is now 130 after being 'cold set' (read being tw@tted with a hammer and pulled about by a gibbon in a bike shop :-) ) to take 9 speed. For its 25th birthday, I treated it to new wheels and Tiagra brifters.

I didn't dare take the "tw@t it with a hammer" approach myself :D If you're interested there's a bloke on ebay selling sets of the original cursive graphics. However I think your Mercian ones are pretty smart as they are.

Hoopdriver, the stem is this one from Spa Cycles (possibly the strangest bike shop in the world, but they do stock some nice products) http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b186s88p2207&tbv=NITTO_Dynamic_1_Quill_Stem_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Stems_-_Road

The pump is an old Bluemels one. I got it from Ebay for £13. It's actually quite scratched but has shown up well in the photos. I cleaned up the plastic hoops with a toothbrush (the wife's :D ) and flash liquid, and I've got some Brasso lint to get medieval on the chrome, when I have an hour to spare. If you want one I would keep checking Ebay. There are none on there are the moment but a few weeks ago when I bought it there were several for sale, in various conditions. Pristine examples sell for silly money, but then they are very rare.
  • boblo wrote:
    Mines a 1985 model, no 851064. I've had it since new, refinished once. The refurb cost twice the original purchase price :-)

Ah. I expect the "85xxxx" refers to the year. Mine is "863622" so it's a fair guess that it's a 1986 bike.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    Nice build!!!!

You might be interested in a couple of builds I did this year.

First is an old Bianchi i set up as a city bike for a friend and the other is my indulgence;
    an new De Rosa Neo Primato frame built up in an old school way. Scroll down on the link below for the Neo primato

http://wheelsofchance.org/
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    ]

Judging by your handle thats the top of blackstone edge. I used to cycle up there every morning when I lived in Smithybridge.

Cracking looking bike.
    Do you find theres enough padding in the bar tape (it looks like leather brooks type stuff) or do you put something under it
  • stratcat wrote:
    ]

Judging by your handle thats the top of blackstone edge. I used to cycle up there every morning when I lived in Smithybridge.

Cracking looking bike.
    Do you find theres enough padding in the bar tape (it looks like leather brooks type stuff) or do you put something under it

Yep - Blackstone Edge - the White House car park. I sometimes stop off in there for a lime and soda and a bag 'o nuts, so the gruff regulars at the bar can gawp at me in my lycra :roll: :wink:

The bar tape is Fizik. It's not leather - it's just brown spongy stuff :D I know it's a very indulgent bike but I draw the line at £35 for leather bar tape :D
  • boblo
    I'd drop the nose of the Brooks by a couple of degrees. I have all my saddles set dead flat (as you can see). That B17 might start erodng yer goolies pointing slightly up.

I have a B17 Honey on my tandem. It's now a lovely chocolate brown after ~20k miles.
  • boblo
    I'd drop the nose of the Brooks by a couple of degrees. I have all my saddles set dead flat (as you can see). That B17 might start erodng yer goolies pointing slightly up.

I have a B17 Honey on my tandem. It's now a lovely chocolate brown after ~20k miles.
  • Beautiful bike. Nice bar tape.

I was looking for a synthetic alternative to Brooks's leather tape a while back but gave up in the end as only Charge seemed to do the brown leather look and it didn't look right.

Having just looked again at Fizik's range, I take it the stuff you've used on your Orbit is MicroTex in the Honey colour?
    How do you find the thickness?
    Would you recommend gel pads beneath it for touring/long days in the saddle?
    I'm using cork at the moment which is very comfortable and I'd be hoping to get a similar feel. 8)
  • borat_thumbs_up_narrowweb__300x504,0.jpg

I like...
  • boblo wrote:

Hmmm yes I know what you mean. The saddle does put slight pressure on my "soft" area, which makes itself felt after 20 miles or so. Not good considering me and the wife are trying for another baby :shock: The problem is, my arse tends to "slide down" the saddle and this wastes energy as I'm constantly pushing myself back up. If I was to lower the nose, this would be worse. Let's just say I don't have a perfect position dialled in yet. I'm wondering if the B17 is designed with a more upright riding style in mind.

Franckster, yes the bar tape is the Fizik one you describe. It's not the most padded bar tape I've ever had, but I haven't been on an all-day ride yet to see if it will be a problem. To be honest, yes I would probably consider gel pads for touring, but there's also the problem of not wanting to spoil the line of my Noodle bars :wink:
  • Thanks HebdenBiker.

Re the saddle debate, I too agree that it should be level. I don't think the B17 is designed for upright riding, Brooks have other models for that. It may be just your saddle position and/or handlebar reach that needs adjustment. For instance, if your saddle is set too far back in relation to the BB, your legs will gradually shift you forward onto the nose as you pedal along. Similarly, if your handlebars are set too far forward, you will gradually creep onto the nose of the saddle as you ride and will have to keep pushing yourself back.

Thanks for the info on the tape. In relation to what you say, I have two options for my tourer. Either install gel pads or leave my cork tape on and apply the Fizik over the top of it. The latter idea wouldn't spoil the lines. :roll:
  • Similarly, if your handlebars are set too far forward, you will gradually creep onto the nose of the saddle as you ride and will have to keep pushing yourself back.

This.

The Noodle bar has a "deep" curl, if you see what I mean. Might have to try a more conventional bar. And a shorter stem.