Mtb clothing when rideing?

tylerjames
tylerjames Posts: 56
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Just wondering wot you all find is best too wear when rideing in the wet and mud.ie rain jackets,footwear,shorts,trousers.
Went out on saturday and was coverd head too toe in mud (dam fun tho) and thout i wonder wot the exsperts wear.
Thanks Jack

Comments

• I'm not an expert, but... layers.

A pair of running shorts with a pair of baggies over the top. Legs dry faster than trousers so always shorts in the wet weather. If its really cold I might wear tights under the shorts too.

Baselayer top (or two for the days when its several degrees under) and fleece and/or waterproof, or whatever cotton t-shirt comes out the cupboard first.

Wear whatever you're comfortable in, being warm is more important than being dry. It all looks the same covered in mud anyway.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Top:

Merino Base layer
    Wicking cycle jersey
    Waterproof jacket

Add/remove as require

Gloves - Sealskinz waterproof & thermal

Bottom:
    Padded lyrca shorts under baggies
    Knee warmers
    Waterproof socks

Shoes - 5-10's
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Avoid cotton like the plague when it gets wet it stays wet and makes you really cold. If you have a TK Maxx near you they sell cheap running and footy gear that works as well as cycle gear if you are on a budget.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Budgets my middle name mate. Ye theres 1 not far from me which is good. Have stretch base layer and fox moto x gloves. My feet were froze and soaked thru hich was the worse part. Is there such a thing as water proof socks?
    Cheers
  • stubs
    Sealskinz are waterproof but a bit pricey.
    http://www.sealskinz.com/

I prefer to wear proper woolen socks with silk liners you get wet feet but they stay warm and pong free.[/url]
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Put a nappy bag over each foor if you cant get/afford waterproof sox
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    tylerjames wrote:
    Just wondering wot you all find is best too wear when rideing in the wet and mud.ie rain jackets,footwear,shorts,trousers.
    Went out on saturday and was coverd head too toe in mud (dam fun tho) and thout i wonder wot the exsperts wear.
    Thanks Jack

i know i'm being pedantic and you've asked a serious question but fook me where did you learn how to spell? i know i'm not perfect, i failed GCSE english, but even i spotted the mistakes in that!!! :shock:
  • When I went out the other day I wore...
    Bottom
    Thermal tights, padded shorts and a pair of baggy shorts over the top and a pair of Merino wool socks from Go outdoors.

Cycling t-shirt, fleece and a pac a mac sort of thing to keep me dry and the wind out
  • Welshkev.
    If i wanted you too tell me how too spell etc i will. For now tho go do 1 and annoy some1 who gives a f--k. I could say why didnt you start your sentence with a capital letter,but hey i dont give a f--k. Thanks too everyone else who has replyed too my question and has defo helped.
  • welshkev
    tylerjames wrote:
    Welshkev.
    If i wanted you too tell me how too spell etc i will. For now tho go do 1 and annoy some1 who gives a f--k. I could say why didnt you start your sentence with a capital letter,but hey i dont give a f--k. Thanks too everyone else who has replyed too my question and has defo helped.

thanks for that grown up response!!! like i said you asked a serious question and in no way did i slag the question you asked off, but come on that was pretty hard to understand!!! we all make spelling mistakes but that was ridiculous.

oh and don't be a keyboard warrior tough guy :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ok, back on topic please.

I will add however that text talk is frowned upon in these forums, and is against the rules.
  • I wear-
    helmet,
    baselayer,
    waterproof,
    lycra,
    riding shorts,
    knee pads,
    socks,
    trainers.

Only started wearing a waterproof because I didn't realise there was changing rooms/showers at cwmcarn and the drive home tended to be a bit..... soggy.
  • My apologies supersonic on the text talk.
    Ha ha keyboard warrior me,um no chance welshkev.

Back on track. Have just bought a rash vest and some tights and am going too see what is the best lightweight rain jacket there are about.
    Cheers all.
  • For my ride today i wore tights with 3/4 waterproof baggies, thermal waterproof socks.
    On top base layer, cycling jersey and fleece. Keep an endura waterproof cycle jacket in my camelback and replace fleece if it rains. Kept warm, stayed dry and had a great ride.

Got my waterproof socks of ebay, theres a few knocking around so take a look.

Oh yeah and water and wind proof 661 winter gloves.
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • I use some long bibtights with Singletrack-shorts.
    On top i use a cycling t-shirt with a fleece and a waterproof jacket.

On the hands i use 661 Comp gloves, but they are starting to be a little too cold at this season. Will have to find something else.

WierdBeard > What's the gloves model name?
  • welshkev
    tylerjames wrote:
    My apologies supersonic on the text talk.
    Ha ha keyboard warrior me,um no chance welshkev.
    Back on track. Have just bought a rash vest and some tights and am going too see what is the best lightweight rain jacket there are about.
    Cheers all.

it certainly looked like it :D

like i said i wasn't having a pop at you directly, it just annoys me when people write like that. but to answer you question:

bib tights, base layer (nike dry fit), micro fleece/soft shell jacket (depending on how cold it is) gore tex jacket, padded shorts, baggy shorts, 2 pairs of socks, buff head scarf and when it's really cold i have a head band that covers my ears.
  • Yesterday I was wearing ful length tights folded to knee length with a pair of padded shorts underneath. Standard Altura/Endura tee with a cheap Polaris longsleeve fleece over the top. Oh and a pair of odd socks.

At the mo I only feel the cold at the start and if I stop for a repair or chat. Winter is a whilst off yet.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • Kagefisk i use 661 storm gloves. Found they are a bit to warm at the minute but the real test will be when the real winter weather hits, but so far so good. Super comfy too. Good review on here.

http://www.bikeradar.com/ROAD/gear/cate ... orm-10722/

Picked them up on ebay brand new for £12.
  • welshkev
    WierdBeard wrote:
    Kagefisk i use 661 storm gloves. Found they are a bit to warm at the minute but the real test will be when the real winter weather hits, but so far so good. Super comfy too. Good review on here.

are they really warm? i use endura strike's at the moment but i find my finger tips get really cold in them!
  • welshkev wrote:
    WierdBeard wrote:
    Kagefisk i use 661 storm gloves. Found they are a bit to warm at the minute but the real test will be when the real winter weather hits, but so far so good. Super comfy too. Good review on here.

are they really warm? i use endura strike's at the moment but i find my finger tips get really cold in them!

They seem to be at the moment, only real test has been on a -2 20 minute late night commute home from work so far, but were warm enough. As i said real test will be when the real cold hits. No complaints so far though.
  • Have got my moto x trousers im going too wear on top of the tights ive orderd and they have good padding on the knees etc which i think will help. Have fox gloves that wear good at keeping my hands warm on the bike last winter. Am keeping an eye on ebay for some cheap trainers as i have ruined my y3s. Not good.
    Many thanks all for the help so far.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I've recently invested in some Endura Singletrack trousers and Endura MT500 overshoes. I got fed up of getting cold and wet when cycling through the mud and puddles. What a difference now. The trousers are excellent. Not particularly warm, but can be used in the hot summer as they have good venting. In very cold weather, I wear lycra leggins underneath.
    The trousers are expensive, but well worth it. I look ridiculous in lycra alone or 3/4 baggy shorts.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Race top, 3/4 baggies, base layer if chilly, waterproof top, buff. And seal skins.

The seal skins are a bit pricey but they really do work your feet will stay warm and dry, as a result you'll feel more comfortable riding. Plus they last for ages I've had a couple of pairs that have lasted 3-4 years so far.
  • Endura overshoes, lycra leggings, padded shorts, Buffalo mountain shirt. Job done.
  • stubs
    Got really cold on my ride this afternoon was caught out because sun was shining and it looked lovely. Didnt have enough layers on my toes and ears are still feeling a bit numb now.
  • Try wearing plastic bags ie asda carrier bags under your socks, sounds mad but keeps your feet warm and dry!! :shock: