Campagnolo Ergopower

mirceaandreighinea
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
i would like to buy Campagnolo, but i have a problem. i like everything about them (history behind, look, performance) except for one thing: when the ergopower is mounted on the handlebar there is a little bump (see photo). for me looks like Shimano and Sram don't have this thing.
-isn't it disturbing, uncomfortable for your hand?
thanks! ciao,
Mircea
5179062254_e0cbd9d3d9.jpg
5178457119_b5298cff72.jpg

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    that "bump" is simply the consequence of two pieces of handlebar tape at one pointvon the edge of the plastic ergo base where the cables exit as you wrap around the levers. If you are careful with handlebar taping it is easy to avoid.
    Colnago Addict!
  • If you are careful with handlebar taping it is easy to avoid.
    as long as i notice this bump on every ergopower i've seen..... i don't know
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    But you've not actually tried a pair have you?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you are careful with handlebar taping it is easy to avoid.
    as long as i notice this bump on every ergopower i've seen..... i don't know

The bump is a plastic shroud - the cables come out more at the side so I doubt any amount of careful handlebar taping would avoid it. I've nver noticed or been bothered by this feature on my bikes though!

I believe the Campagnolo Ergo bodies are shorter than SRAM or Shimano so more important might be issues of reach.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Cut a 1cm piece of bar tape, and put it on the bar so that it flattens this bump out. Costs nothing, and takes about 10 seconds.

The bump is a consequence of the ergos being made to work very well with classic round bars (which they do). It can make them a bit weird on bars with flat tops unless you're careful.
  • THANKS everybody!
    But you've not actually tried a pair have you?
    no, i haven't. soon i will buy a grupset and i don't know which one?...
    I believe the Campagnolo Ergo bodies are shorter than SRAM or Shimano so more important might be issues of reach.
    i'll think about it.
    The bump is a consequence of the ergos being made to work very well with classic round bars (which they do). It can make them a bit weird on bars with flat tops unless you're careful.
    YES, i believe the same. on these classic round bars the bump is still there but much less noticeable. look here:

5180445604_432997bcff_z.jpg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    i would like to buy Campagnolo, but i have a problem. i like everything about them (history behind, look, performance) except for one thing: when the ergopower is mounted on the handlebar there is a little bump (see photo). for me looks like Shimano and Sram don't have this thing.
    -isn't it disturbing, uncomfortable for your hand?
    thanks! ciao,
    Mircea
    5179062254_e0cbd9d3d9.jpg
    5178457119_b5298cff72.jpg
    Good grief I thought I heard some things, what does it matter? Be safe in the knowledge it will out perform both Shimano and that Sram rubbish and give years of brilliant shifting.
  • rob-D
    rob-D Posts: 18
    You know, I had to go and look!

That's how much the 'bump' has bothered me in real world use.

ie nada, nothing, zero, zilch....

:)

-Rob
  • I use Campag Ergopower on both my bikes and hadn't noticed or been aware of that 'bump'. :shock:
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    rob-D wrote:
    That's how much the 'bump' has bothered me in real world use.

ie nada, nothing, zero, zilch....

Quite. It's of no consequence. None. Not a bit. Not one iota.