Flying Scott - more info required

badly_dubbed
badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
edited April 2011 in Your road bikes
Just thought I'd post pics of my mates bike...never gets used and hangs from his garage roof, I didn't even know he had it till yesterday lol

Anybody know anything about it or the parts etc?

Might hit him with a cheeky offer for it....

946ace40.jpg

6a02aed3.jpg

dfe1aa11.jpg

bb35e1cf.jpg

Comments

• NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Ah nice one!

I see this one has flying Scot on the headtube but just the Scot on the seat tube

Two different models according to that website lol hmm
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Extract from a website, titled 'Hidden Glasgow' which mentions your model 'Continental'

by Cyclo2000 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:07 am

It used to be a popular run to go "Round the Cloch", where we'd all troup out to the Cloch lighthouse or environs for a drum up.

Glasgow has an illustrious place in cycling history, not least for Rattray's Flying Scot Bicycles, which were (and in many cases remain) among the very finest steel lightweight bicycles ever made.
    With premises in the heart of town (Murray street, Parlimentary Road- now sadly gone) Rattrays was the bicycle shop of choice for all who could afford to go there.
    My own Scot Continental is wrought in Accles and Pollack Kromo tubing, a product so ahead of it's time and so scarce it was only ever used by a handful of framebuilders, all of them at the very top end of their craft. With fancy nervex proffesional lugs and the (new around 1956) Campag GranSport 5 speed derailieur, The Scot Continental was one of the best machines of it's day.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Awesome thanks!

It's a lovely bike which I'd like to own lol can't see him sellin though!!
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    The letter in the frame no gives the year. I have one that has an "H" in it which signifies 1958. If you Google Flying Scot frame no there are accurate lists out there.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west