Total noob question

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Tried to search this but cant find a related post or a google article.

Apologies to all as this I am guessing is a real noob thing to say but not sure what has happened to my road bike. I took it into an LBS 6 weeks ago for a service they didnt do much as it was in good working order, they tightened things up, lubed it and true'd the wheels, however since their tinkering I have noticed a worrying development.
When using my front brake my front forks wobble and give quite a bit, i have noticed this when descending at speed over bumpy ground too. Is this normal as my forks were rock solid previously, have the LBS fixed a previous problem or have they "broken" my bike. I wanted to check before "having a pop" at them, is this normal. Can it be fixed easily, ie by me? Or should I be getting on the phone ASAP.

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Google "headset adjustment" and check out the videos.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    +1 for the above - sounds like the headset needs adjustment
  • needs tightening by the sounds of it - quite a simple job but just take your time
  • Another vote for headset adjustment, BUT if the wobble only occurs when braking, you might also check to make sure your caliper is "centred", ie. the pads are hitting the rim at the same time when you brake.

If not, and the caliper is mis-aligned, you will be side loading your wheel, which might be enough to start a wobble.

Also check your front wheel is FIRMLY clamped in with the quick release skewer, and in the right position too. Might be slightly out of alignment as well...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Another vote for headset adjustment, BUT if the wobble only occurs when braking, you might also check to make sure your caliper is "centred", ie. the pads are hitting the rim at the same time when you brake.

If not, and the caliper is mis-aligned, you will be side loading your wheel, which might be enough to start a wobble.

Also check your front wheel is FIRMLY clamped in with the quick release skewer, and in the right position too. Might be slightly out of alignment as well...

I'd agree with the above - but if your not to sure I would always take it back to the LBS not to have a go but to chat with them. Any LBS worth their salt should look to try to help you out and point out whats going wrong.

Most LBS trade on their reputation and they should want you to come back in the future for your next bike service but also possible upgrades to you bike and other bike stuff. If your still worried just google for reviews of your LBS (s) and see what others say and you should get a good idea.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    It happened to me comimg down the trough of bowland at 40mph, not a nice experience.
    Check your head set then see if there is any play in your front wheel.