Help fettling wheels in Basingstoke area

instantdiver
instantdiver Posts: 36
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,
anybody able to offer some assistance to tweak my new RS80's that are slightly out of true from the box. I purchased them mailorder so don't really want to send back (after reading other experiences with wheels needing fettling from the box). But neither do i have experience/tools or confidence to attempt it myself. The front is out around 1.5mm, the rear less so :?

I live just outside Basingstoke & am in no hurry as such (just want to get them sorted before I ride them).

Many thanks - Andy
Boardman Team carbon LE #077
2008 Rockhopper Pro

Comments

• ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    There is a Wheel builder in Ash Vale (near Aldershot). Unfortunately I cannot his name...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pedal On in Tadley
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Pedal On in Tadley
    +1
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    ChrisSA wrote:
    There is a Wheel builder in Ash Vale (near Aldershot). Unfortunately I cannot his name...

Think it's 'legs 11' over at weight weenies.
  • Thanks guys - I forgot about pedalon.

Just to complicate the issue, I contacted the vendor at the same time. His response was to offer to arrange a courier for pickup & refund but no replacement as in his words 'I've been selling them too cheap', they should be on 50 quid higher. Jeez. Wish I hadn't bothered as now I'm in a war of words with him over the situation. To top it off the wheels arrived poorly packaged with a few minor marks on the rims so I have a bad feeling about the refund scenario :roll:
    Ebay buyers beware.....
    Boardman Team carbon LE #077
    2008 Rockhopper Pro
  • I'm no bike mechanic, but I bought myself a spoke key (couple of quid) and trued my wheels recently and it was just about the easiest thing I have ever done with the bike.

I followed the instructions in Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, but I am sure you could find instructions on the web somewhere (Sheldon Brown?)