Snowdon, which route down?

2»

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    the last time i was up snowdon a stag do was there with the stag dressed in just a small dress and walking boots!!!! he had on a rucksack so i assume that he had warmer clothes in there should he need them :lol:

but yeah, i've seen people in shorts, t shirts and flipflops without a care in the world, until the wether changes and they get pnumonia (sp!) and have to be lifted off :evil:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Things like Snowdon are high but not at cloud level.
    Oh yes they fu*king are. I can see the cloud level from my house on any given day, and I can see that the peaks of Elidir, and particularly Snowdon, are almost always well within the cloud level.

Llyn%20Peris%20from%20lookout.jpg
    And the clouds get lower than that, quite a bit lower in fact, but there wouldn;t be much point taking a picture from the lookout in that case, would there?

Now when you're inside that, and on terra firma, is it still "fog", or are you in the clouds?
  • Thats a great photo, makes me reach for the tent and boots.

I bow to your knowledge that is some well low cloud.

Fog would rise up from moisture on the ground. In that pic it could be from the lower level area near the lake, but can also be found on the ridges due to moisture up there. so I suppose you could find yourself in a mixture of both. Cloud will I think pass and keep moving, but fog and mist will swirl around by the land areas.

Where is that? Don't recoqnise it.
  • welshkev
    Things like Snowdon are high but not at cloud level.
    Oh yes they fu*king are. I can see the cloud level from my house on any given day, and I can see that the peaks of Elidir, and particularly Snowdon, are almost always well within the cloud level.

Llyn%20Peris%20from%20lookout.jpg
    And the clouds get lower than that, quite a bit lower in fact, but there wouldn;t be much point taking a picture from the lookout in that case, would there?

Now when you're inside that, and on terra firma, is it still "fog", or are you in the clouds?

did you take that mate?
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, I took it with (I think) my old Fuji S5700, from "the lookout" in the slate quarries above the power station.
    It's looking out towards Nant Peris.

Here's another...
    Llyn%20Llanberis%20copy.jpg

Those clouds aren't just from the lakes, that is pretty much the cloud level round here.
    I live on the coastal side of Snowdonia, and can see across the plains to the mountains, and thet cloud level stretches as far as the eye can see.

And it's not a freak event. It's actually very rare indeed that the peak of Snowdon is visible.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited November 2010
    Up Llanberis. down the rangers untill the bridleway over into telegraph valley (most of the way down, turn off up yher hill at the no biking sign, ther is no obvious path untill you get over the first rise).

The weather on the summit can be very bad but below the ridgeline of crib goch/crib y driscoll (sp?) it's usually much better....

Pyg track is a footpath, we re not allowed on it (Yehaa!!! :wink: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    sssssh :wink:
  • welshkev
    they're really nice pictures, i really need to practice more. with a brother who's a photographer you'd think i'd be quite good :?

when i rode the marin trail earlier this year i could see the peak of snowdon (i think) i must have been lucky :D
  • Anonymous
    you mean like this?
    DSCF1974.JPG

I need to start taking my SLR out with me more on the bike. these are either very old or from when I didn't really understand the camera at all :oops:
  • Fog is a cloud which is in contact with the ground. Much like clouds in the sky, fog forms when the air becomes supersaturated, meaning that it can no longer hold moisture in the form of vapor. As a result, water precipitates out of the air, forming a fine mist of water droplets. If the air becomes saturated enough, the droplets will turn into drizzle or rain. If you're curious, the foggiest place on Earth appears to be the Grand Banks, an area off the coast of Newfoundland
    The warmer air is, the more moisture it can hold in the form of vapor. Fog and clouds, therefore, form when air is rapidly cooled, and the moisture in the air adheres to particles such as dust or sea salt. Clouds form because humid air cools as it rises into the Earth's atmosphere. Fog can form in a number of ways, although most fog breaks down into either advection or radiation fog. In both instances, the cloudy air is often markedly cooler than neighboring clear air, and it can feel clammy because of all the drops of moisture

There you go-a scientific description. But stand by my earlier definition-fog rises up from moist ground.
  • welshkev
    just like that, is that from down by the first lot of lakes you come to?
  • Love that second pic. water reflection is great.

Would love to get a proper SLR but my skills are rubbish and they are too big for a bag/too much to resist breaking in an accident.

I have one of those Olympus Tough cameras. They are great at taking knoks and getting wet.
  • Anonymous
    welshkev wrote:
    just like that, is that from down by the first lot of lakes you come to?
    That's the one, yeah.

But, fog rises from moist ground, as do clouds. That's HOW they're formed.
    I'm still confused about what differentiates a fog, from a cloud.
  • i think its the level they sit at off the ground. Once it moves to a certain height it becomes classed as cloud of one type or another;

Stratus
    0 - (Fog)
    1 - 8,000 ft
    Low-lying formless cloud, called fog when base lies on the ground

Stratocumulus
    3 - 10,000 ft
    Low layered cloud with bumpy, heap-like structure

Either way its nasty stuff that causes accidents!!

Where is that third photo? Don't know the area of the first two either. What bit of Snowdon are they in?
  • Anonymous
    Ah, that makes more sense. So low altitude "stuff" is fog, and higher altitude "stuff" is cloud?
    So if you're up a mountain, there's a good chance it's cloud.
    fair enough.
    This may be the first ever time this forum's been genuinely educational! :lol:
  • Im no expert but that about makes sense.

Agree its nice to have a forum where people are not winding each other up over trivialities!!

So where were those pics-where is the power staion?
  • Anonymous
    Im no expert but that about makes sense.

Agree its nice to have a forum where people are not winding each other up over trivialities!!

So where were those pics-where is the power staion?
    The power station is pretty much directly below me in the first picture I put up. It's Dinorwig - the hydroelectric plant inside a mountain.
    If you're in Llanberis, and you cross over to the other side of the lakes to see the slate museum, then you have to cross a dam. Directly in front of you as you cross the dam, is an old slate staircase that rises to the skies. The picture was taken on top of them, basically (although I get there a different way).
    Also, whilst crossing the dam, if you turn to the right, you'll end up at the gates of the power station, whereas if you turn to the left, you'll end up at the slate museum.

The dam is almost directly opposite the Snowdon Railway.
  • got you. Know where you mean. Never actually been to Lianberis. tend to stop at the car park st the top of the pass to hit the Pyg Track up Snowdon. Either that or its Bedgelert way or up the Ogwyn valley on the A5.

you are certainly very lucky to live there. The riding you do must make you a fit bugger. Once contemplated doing the snowdon Marathon but cried when I saw the route......
  • Anonymous
    I know, the Snowdon marathon is just insane :lol: Up a huge hill, then down a huge hill, then up another huge hill, then down.... etc etc etc!

It was quite amusing to see the state of some of the ironman contestants when they held it here. I've never seen so many super-fit people being completely and utterly spent :shock:
  • Its all that fog/cloud/fog stuff. Must get into into the lungs and cause havoc........

This must count now as the forum with the least actual reference to cycling.......... :lol::lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    Its all that fog/cloud/fog stuff. Must get into into the lungs and cause havoc........

This must count now as the forum with the least actual reference to cycling.......... :lol::lol::lol:
    Ah, I see you only joined in May this year!
    Yes, Bikeradar's MTB section is probably the least cycling-related, clycling related forum in the world, if you see what I mean :lol:
  • yea, fairly new to the whole biking thing, hence the name. you can tell i was well into my mountains but a smashed up leg from rugby has led me into cycling as its easier on the ankles than running and scrambling up and down rocks...................Still love Snowdonia though so have Brenin and Penmachno are good excuses to get back there.

The forums certainly do make interesting reading, but picked up some good advice and tips so not complaining.
  • ddraver
    got you. Know where you mean. Never actually been to Lianberis. tend to stop at the car park st the top of the pass to hit the Pyg Track up Snowdon. Either that or its Bedgelert way or up the Ogwyn valley on the A5

You ve never been to Pete's Eats - then you have nt really been walking/biking in Snowdonia...
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Mmmmm, Big Jim :D
  • Pete's Eats? Name rings some kind of bell but not sure where it is.

My stable breakfast venue is The Pinnacle Cafe. The bit where A5 goes off to Ogwyn and you go right for Snowdon.
  • Anonymous
    So, would Snowdon be advisible tomorrow or Tuesday? (looking at the weather forecast of 65mph winds tomorrow!) :D

Doing N.Wales adventures with Popstar and he suggests Snowdon (crazy man).

More seriously, what's the deal with the bike ban at this time of year? i.e. If the tourist season is over.
  • ddraver
    It's open, 65mph winds will be a pretty serious business on the ridge but depending on direction they may not be too bad lower down.

My normal way of looking at this is how would it feel explaining yourself to mountain rescue if you needed to be rescued - If you'd feel like a nonce then it's probably a bad idea!

(that mindset is oftne overcome by sustained peer pressure though I admit!)
    - @ddraver
  • Went up the Llanberis Pass on Sunday and it was snow from about 3/4 of the way up. Pretty dicey to navigate down and the wind at the pass with the pyg track was terrible. Would go very prepared and be comfortable on snow/ice if your thinking of going anytime soon.
    We went back down the same way which was a great decent on its own. Very fast and totally rideable on the way down.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Up Snowdon on Wednesday (Llanberis path , walking), anybody know who the girl was carring her bike up planning to go down the Ranger Path? Respect
  • welshkev
    some of you might be interested in the mojo boys riding snowdon amongst other things :D

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Fabien-Bar ... -2010.html