What should I do?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
Well I've just bought some stuff, and I can't return it, basically, I'm upgrading to 39/53, but the cassette I've been given with it is 12-21, you rekon I should just get the use out of it then get a normal 12-25 cassette. Will it sort of give me a "boost" on the hills, sort of like, help me improve abit quicker rather than sticking with a 34/50.

Seems a sham not to use it, but 39/21 seems a proper tough gear.

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• sounds like a perfect excuse to build a TT bike :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Going from a compact to a 39/53 isn't an upgrade, just different gearing. In fact, if the gearing isn't suitable I would consider it a downgrade :?
  • freehub
    Well the 34 was a nightmare.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    freehub wrote:
    Well the 34 was a nightmare.

How so?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Should have just got a 36 or 38 ring for your compact....
    More problems but still living....
  • freehub
    30 quid for a 53/39/bb and a cassette/seemed good value.
  • doyler78
    Well I wouldn't buy a frame that was too big just because it was cheap ....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'd be worried if I got all that kit for 30 quid, but to answer your question, use the 12-21 cassette. If the ratio doesn't work for you, then replace it.
  • freehub
    Why would you be worried? It's from someone I know and it's second hand apart from the chain rings.
  • doyler78
    freehub wrote:
    Why would you be worried? It's from someone I know and it's second hand apart from the chain rings.

You asked people to comment on something over which you provided no real information therefore you can expect that the responses will be wide ranging. If you want specific information then be specific in what you ask :wink:
  • freehub
    Gonna test it out tomoz, got chaingang tomoz (winter chaingang), so little ring all day, spinning practice.