Getting back to full training

martin56
martin56 Posts: 213
edited November 2010 in Amateur race
I would like to know which is the best way to get back to full training after a few days off with a cold?
I’m into the fourth month of training for next years time trailing season and just about to start some Intense endurance training.
Any help would be welcomed. :cry:
Still going at fifty!But for how mutch longer

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    seriously - a few days off with a cold..??

just carry on where you left off......
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    martin56 wrote:
    I would like to know which is the best way to get back to full training after a few days off with a cold?
    I’m into the fourth month of training for next years time trailing season and just about to start some Intense endurance training.
    Any help would be welcomed. :cry:

I would start by putting your leg over the bike.

By my reckoning, you started in training in July for next year??
  • kenniff
    kenniff Posts: 207
    Colds are common when getting fit.
    As long as you dont take medicine and listen to your body you will be fine.
    I boxed for many years and a cold was common when i pumped up the volume eady for a bout.
    Its as much a test of resolve as fitness,pain is temporary,as the man said.......
    Easy life
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I like the 'old-skool' scientific approach espoused above :roll: Depends on how heavy the cold was - training hard with a heavy cold can be a sure fire recipe for long-term problems, particularly if you have any bronchial or chest problems - it has been proven to cause disease of the heart muscle and leading to all sorts of complications. Missing a week at this time of the year isn't going to make much difference between now and next spring - try a few long steady rides to see how you feel. Many a season has been ruined by people stoically refusing to ease up due to minor ailments.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Monty Dog wrote:
    training hard with a heavy cold can be a sure fire recipe for long-term problems

calm down and read the post again fella - he said 'after' a cold - not 'during' - so the assumption is that he is now better. No mention of 'heavy' either....
  • I'm with softlad... get a grip! a few days off hurts nobody.
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • If its a cold you'll be fine just getting back on the bike like you missed nothing at all. Like others have said if its just a cold you could have probably got away with not stopping but must easing off when out training anything more like an infection and rest completely is called for.

Plus you could always consider the usual diet issues when suffering from a cold as most of us get them during the year from over training or just a hard schedule. Vitamins, fruit, green tea, lots of water - its all good for you.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.