new girl !

donna.dawson
donna.dawson Posts: 2
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
:lol: hi guys new to the room ! new to cycling ! dont know why iv decided to do this but iv put my name down for a cycle challenge across South Africa next sep would appreciate any advice on training and even maybe someone who would be available to ride with :? hate going out riding on my own! I live in st helens town centre so if your close by and have some free time let me know :lol: cheers guys happy cycling x

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Welcome to the forum. The pace for the cycle challenge won't be fast so train for long hours in the saddle with a pace of around 9-10mph. Get some good padded shorts and a saddle you're comfortable with once broken. Once the saddle is broken in take it with you to South Africa as I assume you'll have a bike supplied that you can fit it to. You can do the same with grips if you find a favourite take a set with you.
    Try to concentrate on your fluid intake that should have some salts in it (see the Health, Fitness and Training section) so you avoid dehydration and cramp.
  • gordo29
    gordo29 Posts: 14
    hi and welcome should find all the answers to your questions on the forum
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    hello!

challenge sounds great, green with envy
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Welcome to the forum.

Can you share some details of your challenge? I fancy doing something like this, the lions would be good motivation to keep pedaling... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • xterra
    xterra Posts: 117
    off to Gisburn this weekend if you fancy a day out... that goes for anyone else too :-) as long you you dont mind waiting everynow and then lol
  • See st helens, which St helens is that ?

BUt yeh the saddle advice is good with such long stretches in the saddle.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    CraigXXLs advice is really good.. I'd add make sure you measure your sit bone and get a saddle that fits, preferably one designed for female bits.

But your first challenge is to leather your a**e up. it takes about 4 weeks.
  • might be worth doing some basic resistence work on areas like your lower back. All that time riding will affect your core muscles so working them might enable them to cope better.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    PaulBox wrote:
    Welcome to the forum.

Can you share some details of your challenge? I fancy doing something like this, the lions would be good motivation to keep pedaling... :wink:

Good motivation to stick to Sherwood Pines! Badgers are bloody viscious...
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Donna check out woolyback mtb club. Based in St.Helens. I ride local regularly if you wanna tag along