Cycle Sport's '50 Best Cycling Books'

Art Vandelay
Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
edited November 2010 in Pro race
In the current Cycle Sport they've an article listing their '50 Best Cycling Books'.

The top 5:
1. Jeff Connor 'Wide-Eyed and Legless'
2. Paul Kimmage 'A Rough Ride'
3. Robin Magowan 'Kings of the Road'
4. Dan Coyle 'Lance Armstrong's War'
5. David Walsh Kelly - A Biography of Sean Kelly'

The Jeff Connor book which follows the ANC-Halfords team at he 1987 Tour de France sounds like a great read but it seems to have been out of print for ages. I'd love to read this - does anyone know where to find a copy - would a library hold this?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    I've got a copy and I'm afraid you're not having it (sorry). It is a cracking read though. I was glad to see it at no.1. (It's hard to criticize Sky when you've read it).

A really big library is your best bet, or cyclists who are 35+ (preferably 45+, I'm 38 ), but you and others could lobby Simon & Schuster to get a reprint - pointing out this article.

As for the article, I own 21 of the 50 (13 of the top 20) - I think this is a little obsessive, but I'm sure some on here will have me well beaten (I'm looking at you, Iain). The Winning annuals (at #20) were great - they should bring them back.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    In the current Cycle Sport they've an article listing their '50 Best Cycling Books'.

The top 5:
    1. Jeff Connor 'Wide-Eyed and Legless'
    2. Paul Kimmage 'A Rough Ride'
    3. Robin Magowan 'Kings of the Road'
    4. Dan Coyle 'Lance Armstrong's War'
    5. David Walsh Kelly - A Biography of Sean Kelly'

The Jeff Connor book which follows the ANC-Halfords team at he 1987 Tour de France sounds like a great read but it seems to have been out of print for ages. I'd love to read this - does anyone know where to find a copy - would a library hold this?

I wanted it too so took a look on amazon and discovered its back in print and released april next year :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    As for the article, I own 21 of the 50 (13 of the top 20) - I think this is a little obsessive, but I'm sure some on here will have me well beaten (I'm looking at you, Iain). The Winning annuals (at #20) were great - they should bring them back.

I own 40 of the 50.

Only one of those is unread (Tour de Lance) but I'll get to it soon. Only one I've not read which I'd like to read is the Kelly biography.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • wicked wrote:
    I wanted it too so took a look on amazon and discovered its back in print and released april next year :wink:
    Right you are!
  • I bought a copy of Wide Eyed and Legless a couple of years back from either Amazon or Abe Books second hand. Good read, but I think probably more aimed at non-cycling or new to cycling fans. Still would recommend it though.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    I must admit to being a bit obsessive with cycling books,& having the majority of the titles listed in the top 50
    One of my favourites,& slightly off the wall,Is Johnny green's Push yourself just a little bit more

Same as RichN95,I've got the Wide eyed & legless (A guy at work,his father lives near Malcolm Elliott,& got him to Sign it for me) & also,Unfortunately,I wouldn't let it go.
    Haven't got the Kelly biography,but,would like it

Not really possible to pick out a favourite book,thou'
    so many cols,so little time!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Anyone got the full list of 50?

Have only read 2 of the top 5 so only trotting after some on here.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The Kelly biog is a bit like you'd expect, you sense the Irishman didn't exactly open up and give Walsh loads of details. Sean Kelly seems more approachable these days thanks to his media appearances but in the past, he was a very blunt sort of guy. From memory he barely attended school, working on the family farm from a young age before taking up bricklaying at 14.

Kings of the Road is good book, easy to dip in and out.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,836
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I own 40 of the 50.

Only one of those is unread (Tour de Lance) but I'll get to it soon. Only one I've not read which I'd like to read is the Kelly biography.

Show off.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Just done a quick count,& I've got 25.
    Actually thought it would be more,but,have plenty more that are not on the list (& IMHO some should be),Tony Doyle,six day rider Beryl burton autobiography A few of the Graham Watson (photographer) books
    Still,I don't suppose you'll get everyone to agree on a difinitive top 50!!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I own 40 of the 50.

Yeah its a good read. Bought mine on Ebay. Willing to lend it if u'd like?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moomaloid wrote:

Yeah its a good read. Bought mine on Ebay. Willing to lend it if u'd like?

Thank you kindly but I think I'm sorted. You're the 3rd person from the forum who's offered.

Anyone remember a Channel 4 annual which was produced for the 88 Tour? Written by Liggett?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    iainf72 wrote:
    Anyone remember a Channel 4 annual which was produced for the 88 Tour? Written by Liggett?

Yeah, I had that. It's probably still in my parents' attic.
    Twitter: @RichN95