fulcrum 5

sirdjango
sirdjango Posts: 123
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
can anybody gave a review about this rim? thank you...
ride like the wind... with the wind... to the wind...

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I like them.

Like the rest of the Fulcrum range they're tough and stay true pretty much whatever you do to them. The one bad thing I've heard is that the bearings are apparently a little open to water so tend to go rusty but since they're press fit it's just a matter of checking on them a couple of times a year and replacing them if they start to rust.

I've ridden Fulcrum 7's, 5's and 3's and I've been impressed with the whole range. 10,000 miles on the 7's and all they have needed is a new set of front bearings, replacement freehub and one rear wheel re-true.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Fulcrum are made by Campag, I use the Fulcrum 7's on my Turbo and use the 5's on my training bike as they go through all sorts of shite weather.

I've done about 3000 Miles on them now and they remain true and haven't needed the bearing replacing, I really can't fault them.

Typically anything made by Campag is reliable, so you really can't go wrong.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I've been very impressed with mine, i bought them to replace a set of planet x model c's, and whilst the weight is similar the fulcrums are much stiffer as i used to find that the px ones used to flex under my weight (15st) when climbing, the fulcrums don't.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Can only add to the above. Mine are Fulcrum 5, original fitting and have covered a whisker under 4000 miles this year without any deviation or problems.

A handy feature is that although the spokes are nearly all bladed aerodynamic (yeah right :)) the two adjacent to the valve are plain round and are much better for locating the computer's sensor magnet.

They're a good wheel. Not the paper weght carbon jobbies for five grand a set, but very good all the same.
  • sirdjango
    ok the reviews are helping me making my decision :D
    anyone wants to add some more? :D
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I can only agree with all of the above.

Mine are the Fulcrum 5 Evos, not sure how the newer ones differ from these.

Very nice, stiff wheel which has taken the knocks and stayed true.

They seem to spin up fast too and if I'm honest I cannot say they are noticably worse performance wise than my Easton EA90SLX Summer wheels.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    posted this in another thread -
    ======================================

i have a set of fulcrum 5's that i use in the winter.

not immensely light, but they are bombproof. I've felt them flex a bit and the rime touch the brake when i was sprinting.. but thats not really a problem

great wheels for £180. The wiggle reviews + questions are pretty good for this as well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Fulcr ... 360045057/
  • I ride Fulcrum 5's done around 5k miles on them, they have handled my 100+ kilos and big wattage (in momment of anger I can prodcue well north of 1300 watts, albeit only able to lay it down in short bursts) without complaint

still true and smooth, just arranging a new set of wheels and was thinking Fulcrum again, probably 3 or 1s but finding hard to justify to myself spedning the extra when the 5s have served so well (at my weight shaving a couple of hundred grams does not make a huge difference (other than feeling a wee bit nicer to spin them up)

(I do clean them after every ride, always keep then well serviced and would consider myself careful rider that does not overly abuse his kit)

Just popped a simliary priced set of shimano hoops on my winter bike and they simply do not feel so robust as the Fulcrums, time will tell though.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've recently got a set and I'm really pleased them - they do seem to spin up quick and good freewheeling speed retention too

merlin are knocking them out for 150 a pair :-)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • i ride cross on mine, absolutely faultless
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    My current bike came with a set of Fulcrum 5 Evo's. I didnt use them as I swapped them for a set of RS80's straight away. I gave them to my mum for her flat bar giant road bike and she likes them.

Cant comment on riding, but aesthetically I nothiced the following:

Out of the box the bearings felt FAR smoother than the shimano's did.
    The freewheel is VERY loud. Quite distractingly so if that sort of thing bothers you.
    The balck ones I had have a silver spoke either side of the spoke hole. This is a straight gauge round spoke compared to nice black bladed spokes for the remainder. Fulcrum say it is something to do with ballancing out the weld, but I think it looks cheap. didnt do much for the ballancing as they were far worse than the shimano's.
    Tires are tighter to mount than shimano wheels too.
  • I have the Fulcrum 5 Evos and I have been really happy with them, they have stayed true over many hundreds of miles of pot holed surfaces. Rock solid wheels, but as pointed out above they are very loud!
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    I have the Fulcrum 5 Evos and I have been really happy with them, they have stayed true over many hundreds of miles of pot holed surfaces. Rock solid wheels, but as pointed out above they are very loud!

are you billysans mum? :P
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Great wheels.
    Pity tyres are such a pain to fit/remove - try not to have any punctures :wink:

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • trailstar wrote:
    I have the Fulcrum 5 Evos and I have been really happy with them, they have stayed true over many hundreds of miles of pot holed surfaces. Rock solid wheels, but as pointed out above they are very loud!

are you billysans mum? :P

I would hope for her sake that she looks better than I do in lycra tights :wink:
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    That'll never happen. She just rides in jeans and sweatshirts!

you're safe for now
  • evilollie
    evilollie Posts: 148
    I have a well used set and they need replacing which I have to say will probably be another set... However I have been considering Easton ... I am undecided
  • yup, big thumbs up for the Racing 5 Evo. Other than replacing the bearings once in a while (doddle) they're tough as you like. Using mine on the tourer/commuter/tesco bike whatever the weather and they're still as true as the day I got them.
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    yup, big thumbs up for the Racing 5 Evo. Other than replacing the bearings once in a while (doddle) they're tough as you like. Using mine on the tourer/commuter/tesco bike whatever the weather and they're still as true as the day I got them.
    All good got mine in Dec 08,I have rode over potholes very rough roads (lots of them where I live.)I must admit I have not looked after them as well as I should have.

However they are still quite true,thats not true they are almost perfect.I have never tightend the spooks and have hardly even washed them.They look fab still,however they are loud I think they are fantastic.
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    Forgot to mention they are really strong stiff and are great at climbing.Some say they are on the heavy side,but if the trade off is super tough and long lasting its a price I am willing to pay.
  • sirdjango
    what about fulcrum 7?
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    i personally don't think the fulcrum 5s are that great and not that good for climbing. I would spend a little more and get RS80s or the Fulcrum 3's (£275 at planet x, my choice would be the RS80s, Merlin are doing them for £320, and neither have cheapo stickers on them).

I replaced the 5's with dura ace which were obviously much better but the RS80s I have on another bike seem pretty similar.