Noise?

hammy7272
hammy7272 Posts: 236
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
After mtbing for about a year now. I can't help but notice a cool noise when some people free wheel past. It is kind of a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!? It seems to come from expensive looking bikes. What is it? And if it is coming from expensive bikes why is it a good thing to have?

I hope I have explained myself?

Ta

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited November 2010
    It alerts you to the fact there is a knobber (no offence) close by who has bought a rear hub purely on the basis of how loud it clicks :twisted:
  • O! Ha ha ha, I see. Why do some click and others don't? Any benefit?
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Plenty of us "knobbers" have noisy Hope Hubs on the basis of quality & value. The noise, well love it or hate it....
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Spending a fortune on a hope rear hub, in order to recapture the sound from your youth, achieved with an old playing card and a clothes peg.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • I see! It is starting to become clear. Thanks for the replys. Surely if it is making sound then it is producing unwanted friction?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Plenty of us "knobbers" have noisy Hope Hubs on the basis of quality & value. The noise, well love it or hate it....

I have Hope hubs and I like the noise - I find it strangely reassuring..... :? :D

If people don't like the noise, well, ride faster to get away from me then :wink::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I have a hope rear

Yes it was £165 which is expensive
    Yes it is noisy (although awesome when going fast down single track)
    Yes it annoys people

NO - it doesn't mean I'm a knobber - lol

I bought it because they are VERY well made, very strong, easy to fix and Hope will pretty much swap it out if anything goes majorly wrong with it.

Awesome wheel - couldn't care less what others say about them - after all, how many people who HAVE them say they don't like them? - Thats right - NONE :)
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to have a hope Bulb hub, and a ProII hub. They both lasted well, but after years of riding them, I'd got fed up of the AK47 impression made by the rear wheel. So my newest rear wheel has a lovely, silent Shimano Saint rear hub.
    Well, it's not completely silent, it makes this oddly pulsating whiiiiiiiiirrrr whiiiiiiiiirrrr whiiiiiiiiirrrr noise, but it is barely audible.
  • I have a couple of hope rear hubs, they are quite loud...

I've just put a halo supa-drive hub on my roadie which doesn't click, it screams which is much more awesome. 120 point engagement ftw.
  • hammy7272 wrote:
    ISurely if it is making sound then it is producing unwanted friction?

Yes, to a degree.

but that degree will be somewhere under riding conditions of ABOUT 0.0.....1%

I'd worry a lot more about dragging rotors first as that's not quite at the center of the wheel like the freehub.
  • Anonymous
    The amount of noise you'd have to be generating to produce drag (in a theoretically perfect system) would be IMMENSE though! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    That gives me, as a sound engineer, a new goal in life. Instead of brakes that turn kinetic energy into heat, I shall design a braking system that turns all kinetic energy into SOUND!
    It's going to be epic! Stupidly loud bikes all over the mountains and forests of the world, and the harder you're riding, the louder the brakes are :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That gives me, as a sound engineer, a new goal in life. Instead of brakes that turn kinetic energy into heat, I shall design a braking system that turns all kinetic energy into SOUND!
    It's going to be epic! Stupidly loud bikes all over the mountains and forests of the world, and the harder you're riding, the louder the brakes are :D

When I was a kid we had something like this that whirred when it spun.

http://www.things2make.com/things2make_ ... 20disk.htm

By making different size cut outs in the disc (like a cheese grater) you would probably get notes when it spins, but might shorten the pad life a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad

Thought I remembered something from the past. Old Hammond organs used a disk system.
    From Wiki:
    'The Hammond organ's individual waveforms are made by mechanical tonewheels that rotate in front of electromagnetic pickups.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammond_organ

You could have a whole band while you ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Hell yeah! There has to be a way of using the wheel like an old Hammond rotary speaker as well for that chorusy effect!
  • cooldad
    Thinking of hills and music have now got the goddam bloody awful Sound of Music tune stuck in my head.

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    To get back to original post - noisy hubs are uber annoying and anyone using them should have a red hot seatpost jammed up their obvious and sent to the roadie section.

Just my humble opinion obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sorted, as long as the noise isn't some hidden engine making people go faster thats all I'm worried about! :wink:
  • just put a lollypop stick in the brakes like when you were a kid. Bit hard these days without the holders for the brake blocks.
    00 carrea kraken SE(still going)
    09 M-trax 2.0ht
    11 Cube AMS 100 comp. 2011
    12 Canyon Nerve XC 8.0
  • The other use for Hope Hubs is letting me know where my OH is, if it goes quiet I tend to head back to scrape him up, or if he is in front I have hope that I may catch up with him soon!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......