rear mechanical brake, sloppy sluggish lever action

Philz0r
Philz0r Posts: 56
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hey peeps, my rear brake has been very sluggish and sloppy when i releash the brake, the leaver sticks abit before it pops back into place, not smooth atall. i needed to replace my rear mech anyways and with the new one on i thought it wouldn't be sloppy but it is.

could changing the brake cable work and sharpen up the response time?.

for the sake of a couple of quid for a cable im willing to try it anyways. any feedback would be welcome.
t00t

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Yep, cables are the answer. could always try lubing up all the pivots on the lever and (carefully) the calliper.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost certainly the cable, get a new one!

Cheap and cheerful= Wilkinsons supermarket - £1.04
    Decent=Clarkes teflon coated = Halfords (labelled as bikehut) for £8

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cheers guys, i got a new cable and outer cover for £3. feels alot nicer now i've swapped them over.
    t00t
  • Unbelivable!. i was out testing the new brake on the back. and as i was slowing down my front brake caliper poped. thought i just needed to tighten my pads up. just had a look at it now and the caliper around the pad has shatterd -.- .

i havent even touched the front brake since i got it back from halfords service which was about 3 weeks ago (havent really done much riding)

last time i ever buy a bike from there xD
    t00t
  • The Rookie
    I can't see that Halfords could service it such that a calliper shattered, sounds coincidence to me!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can't see that Halfords could service it such that a calliper shattered, sounds coincidence to me!

Simon

What he said. What were they?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • im not blaming halfords service haha, i blaming the rubbish caliper xD. still havent got around to replacing it yet. i normally take my bike to work but they've been doing road works in the street and need all the cars cleared so i've been taking that to work so havent had the need to fix it yet.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47544

is what i replaced the rear with. i'll do the same with the front.

the original ones were also clarks but looked like a really basic model. the ones i've linked above seem alot better with the aid to being able to adjust the pads without an alnkey and the 185 disks look SHWWEEET!
    t00t
  • The Rookie
    Clarkes are usually pretty good (my commuter is on CMD 9's as was the daughters old one) but soem of the cheaper 'Clarke' ones are rebranded cheaper ones (there is one calliper you can buy with about 6 'makers' names on it) so maybe you had one of them.

Did the metal actually crack or did a through bolt come undone?

Simon
  • the one on the right is the rear one which i replaced earlier. the left one u can see the metal cracked away

1000764k.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    t00t
  • heres the new CMD-6 i put on

1000766d.th.jpg

abit dark but u can still see the quality looks alot nicer then the previous ones.
    t00t
  • The Rookie
    Ok not the best angle but they look very similar to the Promax on my younger daughters 'cheap n cheerful' I've seen that same calliper with at least 3 different names on it, in fact one of the ones on my daughters I swapped the lever on so both are the same Promax branded (just to look a little neater!) can't recall what brand name was on the lever I took off it!

Simon
  • The Rookie
    Was in a store last night and they had a Raleigh in with those calipers, branded Clarkes and yes identical to the Promax on my daughters bike....I suspect they are cheap (promax) callipers rebranded as Clarkes for cheaper OEM usage.

Simon
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    Philz0r wrote:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47544

is what i replaced the rear with. i'll do the same with the front.

Hi Phil - I know its a bit late for the rear brakes, and no idea what your budget is, but have you considered upgrading to hydraulics? Far better performance and much less maintenance needed.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • Hi Phil - I know its a bit late for the rear brakes, and no idea what your budget is, but have you considered upgrading to hydraulics? Far better performance and much less maintenance needed

yea i considered it but decided to just go with a £25 clarks cmd-6 caliper and rotor upgrade.

sometime in the future i might upgrade to hydro, but i dont think my current bike is worth it haha.

know of any good hydrolic brake deals going about? front and back?
    t00t