1965 Harry Quinn racer - decide its future!

themightyw
themightyw Posts: 409
edited November 2010 in Your road bikes
Hi folks

Well I'm now the proud owner of a 1965 Harry Quinn frame, that's ripe for the rebuilding.

On my new Mighty Quinn bike restoration blog I'd welcome any ideas or suggestions for colour schemes or how you'd approach the job, as it's the first of these I've done.

Have your say! Here's the blog!

0_0_4c3e925f04ee1484acf7f0ef33f8fc1a_1.jpg

Sorry, puritans, this baby's going to be built up with the best gear modern gear I can afford. I think Harry would have wanted it that way!

TMW

Comments

• Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Im no puritan, more purile. I have to say, that such a frame deserves to be built up with period specific parts in my opinion. I think old frames dont look right decked out in modern kit. Like I say just imo. Whatever you do, enjoy!
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    athena with neutrons will look fine

keep the racing blue
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Agree with Athena (if going modern) and keeping the colours but it has to be matching blue anodized Mavic Open Pro CDs (built onto Athena hubs & Sapim CX-Ray spokes - Radial front).

I always preferred deep Cinelli 66s personally (Like Phil Anderson) and I think an old Record aero profiled seatpin would would look just right too.

To finish I'd either go for white bar tape, (possibly white) turbo saddle & whitewall Continental tyres or blue Veloflex Pave tyres with blue bar tape and black saddle.

(I'll add my comments to your blog too).
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Agree with Athena (if going modern) and keeping the colours but it has to be matching blue anodized Mavic Open Pro CDs (built onto Athena hubs & Sapim CX-Ray spokes - Radial front).

I always preferred deep Cinelli 66s personally (Like Phil Anderson) and I think an old Record aero profiled seatpin would would look just right too.

In period I'd have gone for white bar tape, (possibly white) turbo saddle & whitewall Continental tyres but I think some Blue Veloflex Paves would look great too.

No, no, no, no, no. Rims should never be anodised, unless you're a fixed wheel "hipster" that spends as much time posing as riding. And coloured tyres should only be used in exceptional circumstances, because as soon as they're used they get dirty and look rubbish.

Agree on silver Athena.

Beautiful frame BTW ThemightyW. I'd keep that colour scheme, it's lovely.
  • Hibbs wrote:
    Agree with Athena (if going modern) and keeping the colours but it has to be matching blue anodized Mavic Open Pro CDs (built onto Athena hubs & Sapim CX-Ray spokes - Radial front).

In period I'd have gone for white bar tape, (possibly white) turbo saddle & whitewall Continental tyres but I think some Blue Veloflex Paves would look great too.

No, no, no, no, no. Rims should never be anodised, unless you're a fixed wheel "hipster" that spends as much time posing as riding. And coloured tyres should only be used in exceptional circumstances, because as soon as they're used they get dirty and look rubbish.

Why - because you say so?

Plenty of roadies and testers were riding with (I assume you mean coloured) anodized rims long before 'fixie hipsters' and have you never heard of wiping your tyres clean? Neither look right on every bike obviously but I think they could on this - not everyone is ultra conservative or too lazy to clean their bike!
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291

Calm down, I'm only stating an opinion, the same as you. I could say the same thing - why should the OP use blue anodised rims? Because you say so?

The OP asked for opinions, and that's all we're giving, it's up to him to decide.

And yes I do clean my bike. :roll: But when you're on a ride and people will see it, the tyres will be dirty, there's no escaping that. Unless you wipe your tyres every 5 minutes.
  • Hibbs wrote:

Calm down, I'm only stating an opinion, the same as you. I could say the same thing - why should the OP use blue anodised rims? Because you say so?

The OP asked for opinions, and that's all we're giving, it's up to him to decide.

And yes I do clean my bike. :roll: But when you're on a ride and people will see it, the tyres will be dirty, there's no escaping that. Unless you wipe your tyres every 5 minutes.

My response was made in the same good humoured manner as I assumed yours probably was, I wasn't actually meaning to sound shirty - hard to convey tonality in forum banter I know!

I agree many coloured tyres can look grubby very quickly (Pro Race IIs) but on my best bike, Vittorias & Paves soon look clean after a short stretch of wet road. Not the most practical for lots of winter miles I know but not so much of an issue for a 'best' bike and good for increasing your visibility.

I'm sure we both agree it's up to the OP to decide and not up to either one of us to say one or the other is 'right' or 'wrong' and that it's going to look great however he finishes it!
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    themightyw wrote:
    Sorry, puritans, this baby's going to be built up with the best gear modern gear I can afford.

so why fit a Brooks saddle..?
  • I've actually got a Brooks saddle on my current multipurpose bike and have really found it comfortable. Use Ariones on my more conventional road bikes.

0_0_9bf7fe3a44405277bac9877411fd9576_1.jpg

I felt, personally, that Brooks would work well because it's traditional but still modern, and also in keeping with the british nature of the frame.
  • Just read your blog, I always remember Colin Sturgess riding a Harry Quinn to the World pursuit in '89...

4855965886_9c654d71c3.jpg

How cool to find out he's your great uncle! Think you should stick with the design and colour scheme as you've shown in the pic, think it looks great! But would suggest not going to silly on trying to find blue components to match. Can't wait to see it when it's finished!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    brooks swift saddle
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Chris,

I reckon this is gonna look fab whatever you do.....tell you what mate you're certainly building up some stable of bikes there (is it 5 or 6 you up to now ????)

Looking forward to see the pics after you and your credit card have administered some TLC to the Harry Quinn !!!!!

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!