Which Bontrager Tyres?

Dunedin397
Dunedin397 Posts: 145
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to change the tyres on my very basic mtb to a set of Bontager tyres. I'm looking for a good all-round tyre, but I don't mind a winter-specific model about 2".

Of the Bontrager line, would anyone recommend a particular model?:

XR2
XR3
XR4
Mud X

I'm leaning towards the Mud X or the XR4 for the winter, and changing to the XR2 or XR3 for the spring and summer.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,

Dunedin397

Comments

• tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    Just fitted a MUD X this weekend and the difference compares to my old tyres which were panaracer rampage was night and day. Gave me so much for grip in gloopy mud and help with traction on climbs where the old tyre used to spin out or squirm.

They roll really well too for a mud tyre. Probably the best £22 i have spent in a long time.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why Bontrager specifically? They're not bad, but they're not the most well known tyres. Save the Mud X which is a superb winter tyre and come highly recommended.

Worry about summer tyres next summer!
  • tony620 wrote:
    Just fitted a MUD X this weekend and the difference compares to my old tyres which were panaracer rampage was night and day. Gave me so much for grip in gloopy mud and help with traction on climbs where the old tyre used to spin out or squirm.

They roll really well too for a mud tyre. Probably the best £22 i have spent in a long time.

That's great, thanks for that.

Dunedin
  • njee20 wrote:
    Why Bontrager specifically? They're not bad, but they're not the most well known tyres. Save the Mud X which is a superb winter tyre and come highly recommended.

Worry about summer tyres next summer!

The LBS is a big Trek retailer, so they're stocking more and more Bontrager kit. It makes it easier to go down the Trek\Bontrager spares and accessories as, they don't have to order other brands in as much.

I use Bontrager tyres on my road and TT bikes, but I do use Schwalbe on my road bike's winter wheels and on my 26" wheeled hybrid bike which are Schwalbe Kojaks.

I'll give the Mud X tyres a shot.

Dunedin
  • I`ve used a mud x on the back of one bike and the front of another.My local loop has a lot of road sections linked in with the gloop and these tyres have been excellent so far.They roll very well and are surprisingly quiet on road.They aren`t as tight as other Bonty TLR tyres so you wont struggle to get them on/off either.I run mine tubeless and they stay up very well even at lower pressure.Well worth the money IMHO.
  • Thanks Ricky48. I've ordered a pair.

Dunedin
  • Hi Everyone,

So I bought a pair of Bontrager Jones Mud X tyres, 26x 2.0, and they're fantastic. When I picked up the front wheel with the new tyre and the old unbranded tyre, the unbranded tyre was nearly as heavy as the wheel!

Apart from the weight, the grip is fantastic on the muddy sections of the loop I do near home, miles better than the old tyres. I also found climbing much better and I was able to get a lot more speed when pushing hard along the flat path.

The only slight downside is that they seemed a little slower on tarmac than the old tyres, but I expect that's because they're more terrain specific.

So I recommend these to anyone looking for a winter tyre.

After looking at the R3, the tread pattern is very similar to the old tyre, so I'll go with the R3 come the spring.

Dunedin397
  • I'm after buying a pair of these for my Trek, I ride the local woods which do get very muddy in the winter and the Mountain Kings are not coping well at all already.

Should I get the 1.8 or the 2.0?

Obviously they've got to look good when on. :lol:
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • I got the 2.0 Mud-X's for my bike and fitted them this week. Took them for a ride round Ashton Court which is exceptionally muddy. My old tyres were slipping every few seconds, whereas the Mud-X's slipped twice the whole time, and that was only on a large root! The grip in mud is simply superb, never felt anything like it!
  • Message for petty vagrant-get the 2.0 size mud x tyres,they are a bit narrow even in the 2.0 size.I`m running a bonty ACX front and a mud x on the back of my 2008 fuel ex 8 at the moment (tubeless) and I`ve got great grip,easy rolling AND cushioning too! My trek has bonty rythmn comps fitted and they also plump the tyres out nicely.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    XR4 Is excellent, loads of grip in the mud & enough grip everywhere else to allow you to ride like a hooligan. £20 each at my local shop