slime

mak3m
mak3m Posts: 1,394
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
why didnt you tell me :P

some of you may have read my contiuning adventures trying to change the tube on mrs makems claude butler, i can change the head gaskett and adjust the tapping of an old fiesta but apprently cant get a tyre of a double wall alloy rim :x :x :x

so down at the lbs i notice slime inner tubes and bottled slime for schrader valves

im never going to have a freaking puncture ever again, and if i do all i have to do is blow the thing up and the inner tube will seal itself.

have i been suckered by a lable or do they really mean thorns are a thing of the past.

Comments

• It does do what it says on the bottle. Does add weight to the worst place place on the bike.
    I put slime in my tubes in the worst of the winter, when I really don't want to be trying to fix a puncture in a muddy tyre with freezing numb fingers.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    No punctures for a couple of years now. It does add some weight but it would be impossible to ride some of my favourite tracks without it. We used to puncture every ride. For the job it does, the weight is a small price to pay.

Still carry a pump. You sometimes need to replace some air lost before they seal up fully.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    I use slime also, I add about half what it suggests so to not have too much of an odd feeling in the tyre but it's good stuff and solves a big problem at a few local rides which is thorn punctures. I have managed to snake bite one tyre with it in and it wouldn't seal it, well it did but would go again after a big hit, but it's really good stuff, cheap and saves a lot of hassle.

I even have some in the tyres of the babies buggy :lol:
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I prefer the slime plastic strip inserts tyhat fit between the inner tube and tyre to prevent punctures happening.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    I need to change my tyres on my bike and have slime tubes in both wheels. Can you reuse the tubes if they have not punctured or does it clog the valve when deflating them. have only just fitted the tubes and they have not been ridden yet but i got a deal on some xc fires and would rather have them.

any thoughts appreciated
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Deflate with the valve at 2 or 10 o'clock.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • They are bloody heavy though - I can see the benefit if your not bothered about weight - especially in the winter, but they do add rolling resistance
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • underdog
    LjStronge wrote:
    They are bloody heavy though - I can see the benefit if your not bothered about weight - especially in the winter, but they do add rolling resistance

Not used the slime tubes but putting slime into a normal tube doesn't seem to add much weight to me, though like mentioned I only put about a 3rd of a bottle in each one (maybe less) instead of the half a bottle suggested.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    200ml bottle, with about 200g of Slime in it, will do 4-6 tubes.

30-50g per tube? It's a true no brainer.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    mrs mak3m is reporting that she can definetly feel the weight difference which makes her long distance rides a little harder.

cant see that being too much of a problem tbh, live in warwickshire flat as a slightly bumpy pancake and neither of us are going to be gnarley weight consious downhill dudes :P
  • I would recomend them for MTB for road there fantastic coz the punctures tend to be smaller. But i have had loads and loads of problems with them for mtb as some punctures are to big for the slime to seal so when you get a big puncture the slime covers the inner tube making it impossible to fix with a standard puncture repair kit which unless you have a spare does not work out very good at all.
    29er=Satan

Hills? what hills? oh balls those hills :(
  • underdog
    I would recomend them for MTB for road there fantastic coz the punctures tend to be smaller. But i have had loads and loads of problems with them for mtb as some punctures are to big for the slime to seal so when you get a big puncture the slime covers the inner tube making it impossible to fix with a standard puncture repair kit which unless you have a spare does not work out very good at all.

Jesus what caused that puncture? I mean a big enough hole for the slime to pour out is a huge hole. I've had no problems with mine, riding Afan and local trails like I said it won't stop every puncture but it's brilliant at stopping the thorn ones which are usually the ones that stop me on local rides. Costs a couple of £ and saves me god knows how long in repairs on the trail, anything it doesn't seal can still be sorted with a normal patch, so well worth it for me.
  • well my bad luck realy and i dont realy no :S but for some reason i normaly swap betwenn thinking to try them out and well they work until the big tears and rips which are fixable on a normal tube but the slime stops the pads from sticking but try them out anyway just depends on how bad you are at picking lines..... oh and afan is just the best ever :D
    29er=Satan

Hills? what hills? oh balls those hills :(