Which tights?

PV586
PV586 Posts: 12
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
I've recently started going out for rides with my local club (~50 miles).
Up till now I've cycled them all in cotton trousers, t-shirt and fleece. However, I'd like to upgrade to something a bit more comfortable!
Should I go for bib tights or waist tights (I have a budget of £50, max) and if so which size should I go for? (I'm 6' 2" but have a 29 inch waist).

Or would I be better off just buying a £5 pair of tracksuits from tesco?

Appreciate any advice!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    get some bib shorts with pad

also get some leg warmers - effectively converts the shorts to tights

if budget is tight have a look at the dhb range on wiggle...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/road/lycr ... ng-shorts/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/arm-leg-warmers/

sizing varies by brand, for shorts it's best to buy on waist size, look at the sizing chart on the product's description tab

read the reviews to see if there are any issues!

imho avoid cotton, it soaks up water and chills/chafes

a mesh baselayer is a good investment, it traps air near the skin and wicks moisture, stops chilling
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I have bibs and tights and tbh tend to use leg warmers as they are warm enough until it gets really cold. The extra padding in bibs are nice on longer runs. Theres nothing worse in my book than climbing and being too hot :oops:
  • PV586
    PV586 Posts: 12
    Thanks for the reply, I guess bib shorts are just better as they don't slip down or put to much pressure on your waist.
    sungod wrote:
    get some bib shorts with pad
    for shorts it's best to buy on waist size, look at the sizing chart on the product's description tab

If I do that, I'm between XS and S, which are designed for people who are 6 inches shorter than I am. Isn't that difference going to mean that the shorts will be pulled upwards too much and be... uncomfortable?
  • I'd stay away from the DHB stuff if I were you. IME, they seem to be designed for people not as skinny as us (I'm 6' with a 29" waist).

It's always a problem, if I get medium stuff then it might be a bit shorter than I'd prefer, but if I get large stuff it might be a bit more baggy than I'd prefer.

I'd say just get a bunch of different sizes (maybe brands too) and try them on. Going to the shop would be perfect for this. But, when trying them on keep your underwear on! :lol:
  • i'd start with a pair of the bid tights from wiggle (DHB). the new padded roubaix ones (there are non roubaix or super roubaix too) are truly an excellent product for around 40 quid. i wear them every single day on my 30 mile work trip. can't go wrong (unless you're not average Joe, for whom they are typically designed). lovely fit, lovely pad. way better than in previous years.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Definitely bib mate :)
    If you're still going out with the club, ask them as well.
    Any of those guys the same build as you?
    :)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,845
    White Line wrote:
    I'd stay away from the DHB stuff if I were you. IME, they seem to be designed for people not as skinny as us (I'm 6' with a 29" waist).
    Yes - DHB are well-enough made, but a little on the slack side - I'm 6', 30" waist, and their small still leaves room. The best fit I've found for me is Gore Bike Wear small - it easily stretches to my height and length of leg (32" inside leg), and is a good snug fit where it needs to be. Endura small seems OK too.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for Endura, I'm 6'2" with a 32" waist, and their medium fits me perfectly.

I've heard good reports about the dhb stuff and these look like they'll suit your budget;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-roubaix-bib-tight-with-pad-2011/

Wiggle's service is excellent so you can always return them if they're too big.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved