What mudguards?

chiefo
chiefo Posts: 3
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

I've recently picked up a Scott Sub 40 which I love and plan to ride a lot.

However, I need some mudguards for those rainier days and not sure if I can quite yet afford the Urban Fender Kit from Scott which retails for around £60.

Has anyone else bought mudguards for this hybrid or can you recommend me some suitable ones?

I read about some SKS Hybrid mudguards over at Evans but one reviewer said that the front mudguard didn't fit properly and had to cut it.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Pray tell whats wrong with cutting a mudgaurd to fit your bike? surely its better than no mudguard?

goodluck
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Lancslad wrote:
    Pray tell whats wrong with cutting a mudgaurd to fit your bike? surely its better than no mudguard?

goodluck

Nothing I guess if you know what you are doing. I am just not that confident in doing a great job since it would be my first time.

Of course you are right in the sense that it is better than no mudguard at all. Especially now the rain season looks to be kicking in.

I thought it might be easier finding one that would already fit but as it looks it will be getting the one Scott directly make.
  • Have you considered the Crud Roadracer?

Light, flexible, easy to fit, and the Mark 2 gives greater coverage than the Mark 1. About £26. If they fit road bikes, thye ought to fit a hybrid.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • chiefo wrote:
    Hi guys,

However, I need some mudguards for those rainier days and not sure if I can quite yet afford the Urban Fender Kit from Scott which retails for around £60.

Has anyone else bought mudguards for this hybrid or can you recommend me some suitable ones?

I read about some SKS Hybrid mudguards over at Evans but one reviewer said that the front mudguard didn't fit properly and had to cut it.

I've had a quick look at this article, to see what Scott's urban Fender Kit is. As far as I can see, wheels are wheels - being round, and only as wide as the tyres you put on them - and the forks on the Scott are not particularly unusual. So, the only reason that front mudguards wouldn't fit is that they are too wide to sit beneath the fork crown. (The only other 'don't fit' would be the mudguard stays. Now, mudguard stays often need cutting for a neat job, so that is not a reason to avoid buying.)

I suggest you do a little research to find out how wide a mudguard the Scott Sub 40 will accommodate, and - once done - you will have free choice of whatever mudguards take your fancy. There -that should save you £20-£30.
  • chiefo wrote:
    Hi guys,

Hi

I got the shop to fit SKS mudguards to my Tricross as a freebe, do the job, im happy with them. Last week end i was on the canal path going down a steep section but looking ahead trying to keep an eye on my youngest daughter who'd shot off !

I hit a plastic bottle half full of tonic wine :roll: my front tyre picked it up and rammed it behind the mudguard :shock: the bottle exploded i was showered in buckfast ! and my front mudguard folks starting wiggling and rattling like crazy :( i thought id bust my mudguards ! Then i noticed the guards have a quick release thingy to prevent damage :lol: They are such a good fit i had to use fairy liquid to pop them back in none the worse for wear apart from smelling like an alcoholic :wink:
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    sks blumels olympics are slim and cool looking
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    2 months later and still waiting for Scott to supply ! Wouldn't bother if I were you