HELP! RACING MEMBERSHIP

littleking02
littleking02 Posts: 132
edited November 2010 in Amateur race
I am buying a british cycling Gold license. I have few queries that I need answers for....

1, If i buy my license now, do I have to buy one again at the start of the year or does my license expire this time next year?

2, What is the difference between provisional (which is free), full license?

3, I am just beginning to racing, is too much to get the Gold license? should I just be happy with Silver license?

thank you.
ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!

Comments

• Apart from cyclo-cross (and even then there are exceptions like the National Champs & National Trophy) and a few closed-circuit road events, the provisional licence doesn't allow entry to competitive races and you'd need to buy a day licence at the event. These conditions only apply to events run under BC auspices though, and you don't need a licence for time trials (in England at least - think the rules may be different in the rest of the UK) as they are under the jurisdiction of Cycling Time Trials (CTT); the only condition for those is that you generally have to be in a CTT-affiliated club.

Not sure about the Gold/Silver distinction - think Gold comes with a superior personal insurance plan and more BC freebies.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    1, If i buy my license now, do I have to buy one again at the start of the year or does my license expire this time next year?
    - Membership to British Cycling lasts 12 months from when you first start it.
    - A racing licence is an additional amount that lasts a calendar year (actually 1st Dec - 30th Nov now to cover Winter Road Racing Leagues at Hillingdon and Hog Hill)
    2, What is the difference between provisional (which is free), full license?
    You can enter most circuit races (Reg C/C+ events) without buying an additional day licence on a provisional licence BUT if you place in the top 10 you will not be allocated any racing points. You need a full licence to gain ranking points and move up from 4th to 3rd cat.

Road races on the public highway (Reg B or Reg A) will require a day licence (c. £5) to enter the event if you only hold a provisional licence. Again, you will not be allocated ranking points if you enter on a day licence.
    3, I am just beginning to racing, is too much to get the Gold license? should I just be happy with Silver license?
    It's up to you what level of membership you take out - Gold has Personal Injury cover included - see here:
    http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/member ... nce-Home-0
  • everything is very clear now. cheers :D
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I would recommend getting silver now and only getting a race licence for the 2011 there are no races where a full race licence saves you money until late into next year and missing the upgrade points will just give you more opportunity to race in the 4th cat races for experience.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    I would recommend getting silver now and only getting a race license for the 2011 there are no races where a full race license saves you money until late into next year and missing the upgrade points will just give you more opportunity to race in the 4th cat races for experience.

i would be very interested to know why you would go for a silver rather than gold? how long do you think I should keep my provisional license for say if i were to buy it today?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim wrote:
    I would recommend getting silver now and only getting a race license for the 2011 there are no races where a full race license saves you money until late into next year and missing the upgrade points will just give you more opportunity to race in the 4th cat races for experience.

i would be very interested to know why you would go for a silver rather than gold? how long do you think I should keep my provisional license for say if i were to buy it today?

Because Gold offers essentially nothing other than personal accident insurance and gumpf. The Personal Accident Insurance can be bought cheaper elsewhere if you want it and the gumpf is just gumpf - any info can be read online.

I'd get the race licence next year - just don't pay anything for this year.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just to be clear - you are not buying a Silver or Gold LICENCE. It's a MEMBERSHIP.

Membership runs 12 months from date of purchase. You buy a racing licence as a separate item - and it runs from the time you buy it until the end of the year. So you can buy your membership now - and your racing licence in January for 2011.

Two different things. You don't get the licence WITH the membership. But you can't get it without the membership either! A racing licence is the same regardless of what type of membership you have.
  • its all clear! stupid but...if I want to race for the remaining of this year I should just get the provisional right?
  • its all clear! stupid but...if I want to race for the remaining of this year I should just get the provisional, then wait until next year to get the license...right?
  • jibberjim
    its all clear! stupid but...if I want to race for the remaining of this year I should just get the provisional, then wait until next year to get the license...right?

Yes Silver membership means you can race the circuit races that are left without spending more money - you will not get points though.

The race licence can then be bought to let you get points. I would say even if you do well and score points in those first races little is lost as if you found it that easy to score points you'll have no problem moving up and can score again, the extra experience learning how to win will be valuable.
  • Pokerface
    its all clear! stupid but...if I want to race for the remaining of this year I should just get the provisional, then wait until next year to get the license...right?

Depends how much you are going to race. You can buy a licence for the rest of this year and they will sell it at a discount. But if you're just going to do a few races - just stick with your provisional. Although you won't collect points with the provisional.

Provisional comes with your Silver or Gold membership. And when you enter some races - they don't even ask for your licence!
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Are there even any races left this year/season? I'd think if you called BC now they'd confirm that they were selling you a license for the 2011 season (which starts Dec. 1 2010). But then again, maybe not -- best to ask. In any case it's less than a month before the new season starts, so if there are races you want to do between now and then, it's a bit pointless to get a license for them. (see what I did there? :wink:)

Whether you do or don't want to buy a racing license right away is up to you, but I'd say if you are serious about racing and plan to do it consistently throughout the season regardlesss of your results, then just get the license for 2011 now and you're set til Nov. 30 of next year. If on the other hand you just want to give racing a go, see how you like it, etc. then stick with the provisional license til you know you've got the bug and want to race more often and more competitively. Otherwise it's probably a wasted 40 quid or whatever it costs.
  • thank you its all makes sense now! I am just being stupid. I am settled on Silver membership and probably wont get any racing license until early next year. cheers all!
  • Pokerface
    maryka wrote:
    Are there even any races left this year/season? I'd think if you called BC now they'd confirm that they were selling you a license for the 2011 season (which starts Dec. 1 2010). But then again, maybe not -- best to ask. In any case it's less than a month before the new season starts, so if there are races you want to do between now and then, it's a bit pointless to get a license for them. (see what I did there? :wink:)

Whether you do or don't want to buy a racing license right away is up to you, but I'd say if you are serious about racing and plan to do it consistently throughout the season regardlesss of your results, then just get the license for 2011 now and you're set til Nov. 30 of next year. If on the other hand you just want to give racing a go, see how you like it, etc. then stick with the provisional license til you know you've got the bug and want to race more often and more competitively. Otherwise it's probably a wasted 40 quid or whatever it costs.

Racing licence at this time of year wold probably run you about £5 as they reduce the price depending on how much time is left on it (or they do for me!) And the new season starts JAN 1 - not Dec 1. At least that's what it says on my licence.