Gran Canaria Holiday/training

what brakes
what brakes Posts: 328
Hi

I have just booked a family holiday in Gran Canaria next year. However im hoping to take my bike. what is the terrain like for training? is it a suitable place?

Comments

• awesome terrain. I didn't take my bike but rented a nice specialized tarmac for 2 days.

the roads quality is great on the GC roads, where are you staying? I was down at the South of the Island towards maspalomas. The climbing was superb, but insanely hot. The days i went riding.. i got up at 630am, because riding in that heat was a complete killer.

it is really easy to head into the mountains from most of the island, where there are some superbly smooth roads wih amazing climbing and technical descents. Generally the routes always head back to the coast and you can just ride along the roads back to where you're staying.
  • this is the route i did.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/es/gran% ... 9306790660

5000ft + of climbing over 60miles. Took me just over 4 hours.
  • Funnily enough i have just checked with the mrs and thats where we are staying! lol

How much did it cost to hire a bike?

When i cycled through Spain this sept it was hard going during the day in 38* heat! so i shall be doing the same as you and going out early.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    M.Rushton
  • i rented from a place in maspalomas, it had loads of bikes.. can't remember what it was called though.

it cost me like 20euros for the day. Cheap! :)

Take your own riding though.. :)
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    free-motion.net :D
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Hi

I have just booked a family holiday in Gran Canaria next year. However im hoping to take my bike. what is the terrain like for training? is it a suitable place?

Had a full week training camp there this year, self organised, both in the north and south part of the island. The terrain is amazing, and really good training ground. Very, very hilly though - can't escape the climbs. And some seriously long and steep ones too - up to alpine level. The interior is incredibly beautiful. We found the area right around Maspalomas one of the least appealing though. Still, once you get out of the built-up coastal zone it's great. The south is also the hot part, so start early. The north is actually milder; we even had some fog and a little rain there one day. Still pleasantly warm. It's also much greener.
    Around San Bartalome and Santa Lucia, Teror, Santa Brigida, well, the whole interior really, very scenic, and most roads have very good tarmac. Look out for crazy motor bikes in the weekends.
  • Cheers for the replies guys!

looks like i shall be having agreat time! not sure the mrs is gunna be too happy about it!!!! lol

All ive gotta do is decide whether or not to take my bike or hire one!